Following a gluten free (GF) diet can be frustrating, especially if it's not by choice. As recent as ten years ago, finding gluten free food in restaurants, vending machines and even grocery stores was difficult. Since the introduction of the GF fad diet to the mainstream market, the availability of gluten free food has increased significantly, but it can still be pretty pricey due to its unique ingredients. 

As someone who is gluten intolerant, I've dealt with price and availability when shopping for food. One strategy I've found is to frequent wholesale stores like Costco. While the food does come in a higher quantity, it's much cheaper per unit. Not to mention, Costco only takes on certain vendors, so the options there are the very best. Over the years, my family and I have found our tried-and-true favorites, based on flavor and price. Check them out:

1. Sabatasso's Pizza

cheese, bread
Camille Balhorn

I think many folks in the gluten free community would agree that pizza is one of the hardest things to imitate without gluten. This cheesy goodness smells amazing, but if you can't get that crust right, it's simply not worth it. Enter Sabatasso's. They have perfected the recipe to an expert level; so much so that even my gluten-eating friends and family will enjoy a slice with me. 

Price: $15.99 for 3 pizzas 

2. Namaste Foods Flour

tea, beer
Camille Balhorn

As I said, maintaining a gluten free diet can be rather expensive. This especially comes into play when a cake recipe calls for 5 exotic flours – you know the one – and you have to buy them all from a health food store. A nice alternative is a pre-mixed blend, like this one from Namaste Foods. Although this bag ($8.99) comes in a 5 pound quantity, it's over 2 times cheaper per pound than a 1 pound bag of Trader Joe's ($3.99) all purpose gluten free flour. 

Price: $8.99 for 5 lbs 

#SpoonTip: Store your gluten free flour in a cool, dark place like the fridge to help it last longer.

3. Brazi Bites

beer, tea, cake
Camille Balhorn

Ah, Brazi Bites. Brazilian cheese bites, or Pão de Queijo in Portuguese, are naturally gluten free treats made with tapioca starch. These delectable bites are perfect for snacks, appetizers or as bread for a meal. Check out their website for further availability, flavors and recipes, or catch them on this episode of Shark Tank

Price: $7.00

4. Udi's bread 

tea, beer
Camille Balhorn

Gluten free folks are no stranger to the Udi's. The brand calls themselves the #1 gluten free brand in America and have expanded their products to just about everything you could want. The classic bread, however, remains one of their greatest creations. Costco offers this 30 ounce loaf for just $7.59, while a Trader Joe's 12 ounce GF loaf rings up at $4.49. Added bonus: the 30 oz Costco loaf is wider, meaning the slices are almost the size of "normal" bread. #score

Price: $7.59 for 30 oz loaf

5. Crunchmaster Crackers 

corn, beer
Camille Balhorn

Last, but certainly not least: Crunchmaster crackers. Gluten free food all comes down to texture, whether it's pizza, bread or crackers. I've found that many cracker varieties are too thin or not satisfying in their crunch. These multi-grain crackers offer the perfect amount of flavor and crunch for pairing with cheese, appetizers or just by themselves. 

Price: $9.89 for two 14 oz bags

And there you have it: the tastiest and most economical gluten free finds at Costco. So whether you're gluten free, know someone who doesn't eat gluten or just plain want to try some new foods, head on over to your local Costco to check out these products!