UNLV's African Student Association (ASA) had their annual Pride of Africa Fashion Show Friday, February 9th, but the clothes weren't the only things that were jaw dropping. In addition to the cultural display of fashion and music from all over Africa, there was a tasty spread of African foods from a variety of countries.

Maebob Enokenwa
Maebob Enokenwa

Here's a run down of the African foods offered at this year's fashion show!

1.  Samosas (or Sambusas)

Maebob Enokenwa

Samosas (also called Sambusas or Samboksas) are a fried dish popular in many regions of the world, including Ethiopia. The one's I tried were spicy and filled with lentils, but they can be made with a variety of savory fillings, such as potatoes, onions, cheese, or meats. 

Maebob Enokenwa

2. Jollof Rice

Depending on the country of origin, Jollof rice can be prepared with a wide array of ingredients. Jollof rice is made with a tomato paste, onion, palm oil, and variety of spices. Because of the simplicity in its preparation, it is typically served in large quantities at gatherings and parties.

3. Nigerian Fried Rice

No your eyes didn't deceive you, fried rice is not just a popular Asian dish! African variations of fried rice are a different take on the traditional Asian food. The main difference is the seasoning and the additives (such as shrimps, meats, vegetables) which can vary with the cook's preference.  

4. Puff Puff

This sub-Saharan delicacy goes by many names across Western and Central Africa. This sweet treat is a deep fried dough ball that is reminiscent of a doughnut ball, just not as sweet. I've seen this tasty snack be eaten alone or accompanying a spicy plate of beans to balance out the flavor. A great companion to most African foods!

5. Nigerian Meat Pie

Maebob Enokenwa

A good way to describe meat pies are as a savory turnover. Nigerian Meat Pies can be either fried or baked and filled with different types of meat. The one pictured is pork, but some variations can be prepared vegetarian with just onions and tomatoes.

Special thanks to Anna Opara, president of ASA, for helping with this article. For more information on UNLV's African Student Association you can find them on twitter @ASAUNLV, instagram @unlvasa, or on Facebook!

...