Anyone living in State College knows how difficult it is to get booze, especially those without cars, because Pennsylvania is home to some of the weirdest liquor laws. Here are a few of the important ones:

1. I’ll Take You To The… Bottle Shop?

liquor

Photo by Amelia Weller

Before you run to the liquor store to stock up for the weekend, keep in mind that Pennsylvania has state run liquor stores and privately owned beer stores. This means that you have to go to two different stores to get your Jack Daniels and your Miller Lites. The struggle is so real.

2. You Can’t Sit With Us

What to Eat to Prevent a Hangover

Photo by Paulina Lam

As a minor, sitting at a table with friends who order alcoholic beverages is almost as bad as Regina George wearing sweatpants two days in a row. According to Pennsylvania law, no one can be served at a table with a minor present unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian or someone who is at least 25 years old.

3. 192 Ounces of Beer on the Wall

liquor

Photo by Quinn Dombrowski

Beer can be purchased at a bottle shop, grocery store or bar; however, you are not permitted to purchase more than 192 ounces of beer at once. If you’re looking to really get the party started and make a larger purchase, you’ll have to go to a beer distributor where they sell cases (24 and 30 packs) and kegs.

4. Go Shorty, It’s Ya Birthday

Photo by Jess Hayes

Photo by Jess Hayes

Not so fast. The bars in state college follow a strict “26 hour” rule when it comes to your 21st birthday. This rule prohibits you from being served alcohol until you have been 21 for at least 26 hours. There are only two bars that make an exception for you on your special day: The Phyrst and Pickles.

Like this post? Check out these related articles: