If you look into my pantry at any given time, you’ll likely find some sort of specialty spread. Take it from me: it’s time to forget butter and try one (or all) of these awesome alternative spreads.

But hold on, the best part is that these options can be much more than just a spread on your bread. Mix them in with milkshakes or Rice Krispies treats. Cover pretzels (or bananas, if you want to go the slightly healthier route) with them and stick ’em in the freezer. Heck, just eat them plain by the spoonful… I’m sure we’ve all been there.

Which type of spread is best? Well, it’s certainly debatable, but here are four contenders to consider.

Peanut Butter

This spread is an all-time favorite of mine. It can be found quite literally everywhere, from PB&J sandwiches to all kinds of yummy desserts. But I’m not the only one that loves it; peanut butter can be found in 94% of American households. Want to revamp the classic? Try this 2-Ingredient Peanut Butter Fudge.

Nutella

spread

Photo by Kelly Logan

This chocolate/hazelnut combination blew everyone’s minds when it quickly gained global popularity several years ago. However, you might be surprised to find out that Nutella is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, as it originated in Italy long before coming overseas to the US in 1983. It’s become so addictive that last year a group of German thieves actually stole 5 tons of Nutella jars, and even Columbia University experienced a hoarding problem.

Speculoos Cookie Butter

spread

Photo by Kelly Logan

All hail Trader Joe’s. This stuff literally saved me during my last week of freshman year. If you’ve ever been in the awkward transition stage of “I have no food, but I’m moving out in a few days so it’s not worth it to go grocery shopping,” this will be your saving grace because there are so many ways you can eat it. Trader Joe’s has multiple flavors of this creamy goodness, including the original Cookie Butter spread, crunchy Cookie Butter, cookie & cocoa swirl and even their newest concoction which involves cookies ‘n’ cream Cookie Butter. Seriously. They also have it in ice cream form (so move over, Ben & Jerry’s).

Reese’s Spread

spread

Photo by Kelly Logan

Meet the new kid on the block. Reese’s announced the launch of its new spread just last month. Naturally, I rushed to the store with much anticipation since Reese’s peanut butter cups are my favorite candy. It did not let me down. Although I must say it’s extremely rich, so I couldn’t eat too much of it in one sitting. But, nevertheless, it’s also extremely satisfying. Try it on pretzels or (even better) eat it by the spoonful. Dessert is served.