Easy

It’s hard to beat a cool night under scattered stars with a roaring fire and friends, but the addition of s’mores completes the picture. This past weekend, I had the chance to lounge by a warm fireside under a blanket with close friends and laughter. I decided to dress up plain old s’mores with some  creative ingredients to be tested by my friends. Here are the undisputed winners:

Piece of Heaven Reese’s

Swap a plain Hershey’s bar for a Reese’s peanut butter cup. The chocolaty peanut goodness takes the basic chocolate and marshmallow combination beyond delicious. The golden-roasted mallow melts the peanut butter cup to perfection. Life changer.

S'mores

Photo by Kathryn Stouffer

Candy Crush

Got some extra Oreo’s on hand? A few peanut M&M’s? Then trade traditional graham crackers for an Oreo’s chocolate cookies and stuff a few peanut M&M’s inside for vibrant color and salty sweetness. Its like a quadruple stuffed Oreo!

Photo by Kathryn Stouffer

The Elvis

In 1976, Elvis Presley named his favorite sandwich. This sandwich was loaded with peanut butter, honey, bananas and bacon. Make your own version of this delectable treat by coating one side of the graham cracker with a thick blanket of peanut butter and  layer banana slices side by side. Lay a crispy piece of bacon over the bananas and pop a perfectly roasted mallow on top. Finish it off with a drizzle of sweet honey and the final graham cracker. Voila! (This treat is a killer party trick, by the way).

Photo by Kathryn Stouffer

The Golden Brownie

This is one for the true chocolate lovers. Change a regular chocolate bar for a delicious brownie. I happened to have freshly baked turtle brownies (brownies baked with caramel and walnuts inside). First flatten your brownie to almost reach the edges of your graham cracker and top with a warm, golden marshmallow. If you only have regular brownies on hand, you can add a few walnuts and drizzle the mouthwatering medley with caramel sauce. Finish by adding the final graham cracker.

Photo by Kathryn Stouffer

Nothing can beat these treats that are just as fun to make as they are to eat. These savory s’mores made the stars seem brighter, the fire livelier and the laughter louder out by the old campfire. So next time you’re home on the range, be sure to spice up your s’mores.