Fun fact: about 33% of the world's population is lactose intolerant, and about 75% of adults have decreased lactase activity, which is the enzyme in your body that digests lactose. Sadly, I happen to be in that 33% who are lactose intolerant, which means I've had to find alternatives to the foods I love such as pizza, mac n' cheese, and ice cream.

Over the years, I've found a number of dairy alternatives that are just as good, if not better than the real thing. I took a trip to my local grocery store to show you the products that I swear by, and also found some new items to try out.

1. Lactaid Milk

cream, milk
Brooklynn Morris

This milk changed my life. I've been drinking it for years and use it in everything from cereal, to smoothies, to mac and cheese, or even just drink it by itself. I love that you can choose between whole, 1 percent, 2 percent, and fat free. Personally, I can't taste the difference between this milk and regular milk so it's the perfect alternative.

I love that you can choose between whole, 1 percent, 2 percent, and fat free. Personally, I can't taste the difference between this milk and regular milk so it's the perfect alternative.

2. Pizza

pizza, cheese, pepperoni
Brooklynn Morris
Being a lactose intolerant pizza-lover is definitely a struggle. I found this dairy-free pizza that looks so yummy! Most dairy-free cheeses are made with ingredients like tapioca and nutritional yeast that still give it that gooey consistency and taste we all know and love. 

3. Ice Cream

chicken
Brooklynn Morris

OK I know this technically isn't ice cream, but if you're craving something cold and sweet, sorbet can be a great substitute. Plus, most sorbets are made with real fruit so a bowl of this stuff is practically a fruit salad, right?

4. Cheesecake 

Brooklynn Morris

I had to take a minute to wait for my heart rate to slow down after seeing this in the frozen section. Cheesecake happens to be my favorite dessert, so I was excited to see that there is a dairy-free option. This cheesecake comes in a variety of flavors and is also gluten and soy-free. I can't wait to try this and see if it tastes as good as the real deal! 

These are just a few of the many dairy substitutes that you can find at your local grocery store. With all of these options available, it's easy to go dairy-free without sacrificing good taste!