Growing up in California, I was undoubtedly lucky to eat my way through high school at an In-N-Out Burger. It seems that every region in the US has a famous burger place that they call theirs. Here’s the breakdown of which regions in the U.S. are famous for which burger joints.

1. East Coast

Although the Shake Shack has begun expanding to other locations, it’s associated with being famous in NYC. I’ve actually been to a Shake Shack, and while I’m a born and bred In-N-Out lover, this east coast chain is a force to be reckoned with.  Not only do they serve burgers and fries, but their hot dogs have also helped put them on the map.

Chain

Courtesy of shakeshack.com

2. Midwest

Steak ‘n Shake is famous in the Midwest for their burgers and, of course, shakes. You know this place is good because you can see the grease stains on your take out bag. If that doesn’t convince you to head to this midwestern fave, I don’t know what will.

Chain

Courtesy of SteaknShake.com

3. The South

Whataburger is extremely popular in the south for good reason. They have a wide variety of items on their menu, from chicken to beef, and you can order anything any way you want (including adding as many patties as your heart can physically endure). You may need to mosey on down to the south ASAP to try this hyped up chain.

Chain

Courtesy of Whataburger.com

4. West Coast

Down on the West Coast they got a sayin’… thou shalt love In-N-Out Burger. I may be biased, but honestly I pity those who’ve never tried the gold that is an In-N-Out Burger. I was always impressed that you could see the workers cut the potatoes in front of you, and yeah they still fry them, but at least you know what you’re eating came from a real vegetable.

Chain

Courtesy of in-n-out.com

What are you waiting for? Follow your heart, or let’s be honest stomach, to these infamous chains and see which one is truly the best.