Natural hair is beautiful, but it can be a struggle to manage all of those curls if you don't have the right tools to care for it and nourish it. You don't always need to drop cash on big fancy brand name hair products to keep your curls on fleek. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is keep it simple and natural, and these three common natural oils can help you keep your curls healthy and fabulous. 

1. Olive Oil 

vegetable, oil, olive, pasture, olive oil
Lilly Allen

Easy to find in any local grocery store, olive oil provides a terrific level of protection for your hair because of its ability to penetrate the hair follicle and provides anti-inflammatory properties to promote scalp health. As a bonus, it also prevents dandruff.

Olive oil is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction, which makes it the perfect oil for sensitive skin and hair. But with any new product or DIY treatment, it's always best to spot test the oil on a small section of your hair to assess any negative reactions it could cause. 

2. Coconut Oil 

Claire Waggoner

Out of all of these natural oils, coconut oil is definitely one of my favorites. Coconut oil is the base of pretty much of all of my hair mask recipes. It can help prevent hair loss and has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties. The presence of medium chain fatty acids, notably lauric acid, in coconut oil serves as a great heat protectant for drying or straightening hair, repairs hair damage and breakage, and helps to prevent hair loss and dandruff, all while aiding hair growth.

Using coconut oil in your hair has also been proven to reduce the amount of protein loss from washing and styling hair. Just be sure to use it as both a pre-wash and a post-wash to make the detangling process a lot easier. 

3. Avocado Oil 

avocado, vegetable, guacamole
Samantha Thayer

Last but not least, avocado oil is a fantastic oil for natural hair because it contains a higher amount of monounsaturated fatty acids than most other oils, including coconut oil and olive oil. It also has many other nutrients such as vitamins A, B, D, and E. The alphabet of nutrients make avocado a powerhouse for nourishment and hair growth. 

Avocado oil is a light oil that absorbs easily into both the scalp and skin, which means it won't leave you with an oily forehead or scalp. In fact, avocado oil is said to closely resemble the oil naturally produced by the scalp. Unlike coconut or olive oil, avocado oil can be a little bit trickier to find in your local grocery store but can be found in most health food stores like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Compared to the other two, it can be a little pricey, but it's worth every penny.

grass, pasture
Gemima Cadet

Natural hair can be a bit of a hassle to manage with quite a bit of maintenance, but incorporating a combination of these three oils into your regular routine can help your hair grow longer and healthier.