Dreaming of clear skin, coconut water and cucumbers on our eyes, we went to the local grocery store to purchase face masks. We got home and immediately painted on a thick layer of goop, closed our eyes and waited for the masks to dry. But a few minutes in, we started to feel less like youthful beauties and more like 60-year-old women with tight, botoxed skin. What we thought would result in an Anne Hathaway “Princess Diaries” transformation left us flaky and dry…not the youthful spa feel we were going for.

So we decided to combine our love of food and desire for clear skin (we’re talking Gerber Baby bottom smooth) to come up with three awesome and, more importantly, edible DIY food facials.

Anti-Oxidant Overdose

pom ingredients

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 3 masks

2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
1 cup oats
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons buttermilk

1. Combine pomegranate seeds and oats in food processor or blender.

2. Blend into a thick paste.

3. Transfer mixture to bowl, and add honey and buttermilk.

4. Stir to combine.

5. Continue adding buttermilk until mixture is spreadable.

6. Apply to face for 5-7 minutes, then rinse.

facials

Photo by Sydney Segal

Pro Tip: This mask looks 100% like vomit – just embrace it. Your face will thank you. Combined, the oats and buttermilk are great for treating acne and moisturizing your skin.

Mud-Slide

facials

Photo by Sydney Segal

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 2-3 masks

3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon buttermilk
½ banana
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice

1. Mash banana.

2. Combine all ingredients in a mixer.

3. Blend until smooth and easily spreadable.

4. Apply for 5-7 minutes, then rinse.

facials

Photo by Sydney Segal

Pro Tip: Replace the lemon juice with an extra teaspoon of honey if you have damaged or dry skin. For oily skin, reduce the amount of honey and increase the amount of lemon juice. Somewhere in between? Use the combo above. P.S. the cocoa is full of antioxidants that help repair skin.

Basic Betches Love Avocado

facials

Photo by Sydney Segal

Easy

Prep Time: 7 minutes

Servings: 2-3 masks

1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 ripe avocado
1 egg white

1. Mash the avocado.

2. Combine ingredients in a bowl.

3. Whip until creamy.

4. Apply for 5-7 minutes, then rinse.

facials

Photo by Sydney Segal

Pro Tip: This one will slide right off your face if you don’t let it harden – wait at least 2-3 minutes before you dance around the living room. If you weren’t already in love with avocado, it is also full of vitamin E that will help clear up any dark spots.

Happy Masking!

Want more? Check out related content here: