I honestly never realized how amazing honey is for your body and health until I started doing research. Honey contains many properties that help your body heal by fighting bacteria and infection, as well as attract moisture and create glow. These 25 beauty hacks will not only save you money, but they will make your life easier and much more enjoyable.

1. Acne Treatment

beauty

Photo Courtesy of Wikihow

By acquiring antioxidants and antimicrobial properties, honey is a great treatment for acne. It helps heal the skin and avoid further infections/spreading. All you have to do is thoroughly wash your face, then dip a cotton swab into the honey and apply it to the necessary areas. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with warm water.

2. Cleaning Wounds

beauty

Photo Courtesy of doctoroz.com

According to the National Institute of Health, honey produces antibacterial properties which aid in healing processes. Honey has been used as treatment for surgical wounds, bed sores, ulcers, burns, and many other infections. The antibacterial activities help the skin grow new tissue, which eventually heals the wound.

3. Face Wash

beauty

Photo by Esther Castellanos

This very simple remedy will only take you about 5 minutes. Since honey is thicker, it’s hard to spread on dry skin so start by washing your face with water. Rub the honey all over your face and leave it on for a minute. Wash it off with lukewarm water, pat dry with a towel, annnd ta-da! You should notice the softness.

#SpoonTip: Do this twice a day (morning and night), for the best results.

4. Lip Balm

beauty

Photo Courtesy of everydayroots.com

A perfect, simple, DIY remedy. We’ve all had dry lips at least a handful of times, and if you’re anything like me, it pisses you off way too much. Using honey to make your own lip balm is a much more effective cure to that issue than to buy it, and I’ll tell you why. It’s natural. Honey itself is a healer, and there aren’t any artificial ingredients to cover its effectiveness.

5. Hair Mask

beauty

Photo Courtesy of everydayroots.com

Honey works wonders as a mask for damaged hair, as it is a natural humectant (moisturizer). There are many kinds of honey hair masks, but one of the best is mixing ½ cup of honey with ½ cup of coconut oil. Apply the mask to damp hair and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Once rinsed, your hair should be extremely soft and moisturized!

6. Cure Sore Throat

beauty

Photo by Esther Castellanos

There are many ways to help alleviate a pesky sore throat, but honey should be your #1 choice. Not only does it kill bacteria, but its softness serves as a smooth coat over your irritated throat. You can mix it with tea, lemon and whiskey (if ya feelin frisky), or apple cider vinegar. Go ahead and get rid of that rusty voice!

7. Hair Removal

beauty

Photo Courtesy of theheartysoul.com

Instead of paying a ridiculous price for a wax (which often leaves our skin irritated anyways), do it at home with 3 simple, skin-caring ingredients. Mix together 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tsp of sugar, a few drops of lemon, and pop it in the microwave for a few minutes until the mixture becomes a paste. The honey will leave your skin soft.

#SpoonTip: It’s normal if your skin is red from irritation, just moisturize…even better with honey.

8. Fade Scars

beauty

Photo Courtesy of Annapolis MD

With its anti-inflammatory properties, honey is a great means to help scars fade away. Mix 1 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of coconut oil together and rub in a circular motion on the scar for 2 minutes. Honey will help the skin tissue regenerate and lighten the skin, while coconut oil will moisturize the area. The circular motion will increase circulation, allowing for cells to reactivate.

9. Highlight Your Hair

beauty

Photo by Esther Castellanos

Honey contains very small amounts of enzymes, including glucose oxidase. Glucose oxidase releases the ingredient hydrogen peroxide, which lucky for you, is used to lighten hair color. Instead of using lemons (which dry out your hair), just mix 3 tbsp of honey with 2 tbsp of water and add to damp hair. Leave it in for an hour, then rinse away.

#SpoonTip: For best results, do this twice a week until you are satisfied.

10. Treat Your Sunburns

beauty

Photo Courtesy of homeremedyhacks.com

Nobody likes to walk around looking like a lobster. Take at least one tsp of honey and very gently rub it on the delicate skin. The honey will help the burn heal while decreasing the chances of peeling. So you get to keep your tan AND you get super soft skin. Score.

#SpoonTip: Mix the honey with some aloe vera to help speed up the process.

11. Shampoo Support

beauty

Photo by Esther Castellanos

If you’re looking for a hair-care remedy that will take you no extra time, this one is a great fit for you. All you have to do is add in honey when you shampoo your hair, and wash it regularly. It will leave your hair extremely moisturized, that easily. Honey also strengthens hair follicles, which will encourage healthy growth.

12. Better Sleep

beauty

Photo by Caitie Veech

Raw honey helps increase melatonin levels in your body. It will work to calm your body and induce sleep. Drink half a glass of warm milk with 2 tablespoons of honey 3 nights a week. This will help restore your sleep and work as a stress reducer.

#SpoonTip: It is highly recommended that you do this on a night before a big/stressful day ahead. Your body will have better rest and will be more prepared to handle the stress.

13. Moisturizer

beauty

Photo Courtesy of mayasmusings.com

Honey is a great source of moisturizer due to its natural humectant properties. Mix a tablespoon of honey with a tablespoon of olive oil, and add in a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix the ingredients together and apply to dry skin. Repeat this at least once a day for shiny, soft, AND healthier skin.

14. Energy Inducer

beauty

Photo Courtesy of wellplated.com

If you’re looking for that extra little push to get yourself to the gym or a workout, pop a spoonful of honey 20 minutes beforehand. Like bananas, honey is a great source of energy, especially before exercising. It will also help wiping off a tired face.

#SpoonTip: You could also do this before class or a meeting to make sure you stay fully attentive.

15. Hangover Reliever

beauty

Photo by Esther Castellanos

Instead of popping Advil’s every morning after you go out, try out a healthier way to get rid of that nightmare of a hangover. Use honey in your breakfast! Add it on to fruit, or spread it on some toast. With its fructose properties, it will help boost up your metabolism and get rid of your look of death.

16. UTI Cure

beauty

Photo Courtesy of thehorse.com

If you’ve ever had a UTI, you know how unbelievably annoying and painful it is to have one. Before trying any rash, desperate measure to get rid of it, try this. Put honey on the area for a few minutes and then wash off. We’ve already talked about how honey is a great use for fighting bacteria, so there’s no reason this won’t work. Plus, it’s a natural remedy.

17. Strengthen your Nails

beauty

Photo by Esther Castellanos

I’ve seen and heard so many of my friends complain about broken, weak, or even “ugly” nails. Once again…honey works magic. In a medium sized bowl, mix 4 tbsp of warmed olive oil, 2 tbsp of honey, and 1 whisked egg. Soak your nails into the mixture for 15 minutes and wash off with only water. Bonus: this will make your hands softer too.

#SpoonTip: For amazing results, do this 3 times a week for 2-3 weeks and you should see beautiful, strong nails.

18. Anti-aging Treatment

beauty

Photo Courtesy of oneclickbeautycare.com

Honey is full of Antioxidants which are very useful for this kind of treatment. Rub honey on the areas where you see wrinkles are coming in (or already are), every night for a few minutes and then wash off. You can also include honey in your daily diet simply in small portions; it will still have an effect on long-term results as the ingredient will help keep your body young and healthy due to its rejuvenating properties.

19. Razor-bump Treatment

beauty

Photo courtesy of Instagram user ci.anna

There’s nothing more frustrating than getting razor bumps after shaving when you’re just trying to show off your beautiful bod. Spread some raw honey immediately after shaving and rinse it off after 10 minutes. This will work wonders and take away the ugly irritation.

20. Get Rid of Those Dark Circles

beauty

Photo by Hannah Klein

Nobody likes to have bags under their eyes that make them look like they haven’t slept in days. Let’s get rid of those little trolls. Apply a teaspoon of honey onto the areas for 20 minutes and then rinse off. Do this twice a week until you are satisfied with the results (this will depend on how severe the darkness is).

21. Help Dry/Itchy Eyes

beauty

Photo by Esther Castellanos

Having an eye infection is incredibly uncomfortable and eye drops can only do so much. With its bacteria-fighting properties, honey can really help in this case. Dissolve 1 tsp of honey in 1 tsp of warm water. With a clean cotton ball (or cloth), gently dab mixture on the eyes(s). If you want a more direct application, you can also use the mixture as an eye bath, which may be more effective.

22. Exfoliator

beauty

Photo Courtesy of elementsbathandbody

If you’re anything like me, exfoliating your skin is a priority for you, but you’re tired of paying so much money for a good quality scrub. Ditch your wallet, grab some ground almonds and honey, and you’re set. Mix well ½ cup of ground almonds with ½ cup of honey until a paste is formed. Intensely scrub the mix onto your skin for a rejuvenated, shiny, and moisturized body. Bonus: It tastes good too…

23. Rid Yourself of Those Mosquito Bites

beauty

Photo Courtesy of everydayhealth.com

Honey can be useful to suppress the craziness of an itch. If you find yourself scratching too hard (to the point where it bleeds), put honey on the bite. It will help cure the open bite, and stop it from getting worse.

24. Great Substitute for Sugar

beauty

Photo Courtesy of factrange

Honey is a very healthy substitute for sugar, since it is all natural, yet still creates the same effect. Everything that you regularly put sugar in (eg., coffee, tea, fruit, meals,…etc.), can taste just as good with honey. Not only will it be a healthy switch to your diet, it will also bring long-term benefits to your skin and body.

25. Cleopatra Bath

beauty

Photo Courtesy of Pintrest

Cleopatra used to bathe in milk and honey in order to keep perfect complexion. Milk can exfoliate your skin, and the honey will rejuvenate it. Prepare your bath as normal, but here’s where the magic comes in. Pour ½ cup of honey into 1-2 cups of warm milk and stir. Pour the blend into your bath, swish around a little bit, and voila. You’ll be soaking in the chastity of beauty and peace.

I hope you loved this article as much as I loved experimenting with all these remedies, and to be honest, they all worked for me. Instead of spending $10-20 on beauty products that contain ingredients we don’t even know how to pronounce, using honey is the safest, most effective resource we have.