Ahhh, the college years, the time when our young adult selves have our whole future ahead of us. Why bother worrying about our olden days when we’re so young now (just let us be young, wild and free gosh). WRONG.

Even though the days of graying hair and wrinkly skin seem far away (I hope) we should probably get moving with with our eating habits to help our future selves (you’re welcome, future me). If you want to live a longer life, check out some foods you can eat to keep you chugging along.

1. Wine 

live longer

Photo by Emma Delaney

If you want to have a glass of wine (or boxed wine-it’s college) go for it. In moderation, wine can prevent heart disease, diabetes, and age-related memory.

2. Olive Oil

live longer

Photo courtesy of Olive Oil Excellence

Since most of us cook with olive oil on the daily, keep doing what ya doing. Olive oil contains polyphenols – for us non-science majors that’s a powerful antioxidant – that prevents age-related diseases. Congrats, you’re on your way to live longer.

3. Anchovies

live longer

Photo by Caroline Grew

So they’re a little fishy and smelly… but they’re sooo good for you. You might as well give them a chance since they are low in mercury, have a lot of vitamin B, calcium, iron and omega-3 fatty acids (and are really considered the bacon of the sea).

4. Kefir

live longer

Photo by Sarah Silbiger

Fermented milk? Sounds kinda gross, but okay. Drink this and you can fight off those cavities your dentist warned you of. The milk can also help improve lactose intolerance. Ice cream, anyone?

5. Turmeric

live longer

Photo courtesy of Flickr.com via Steven Jackson

Oh hot damn. This spice will allow your body to fight of viruses and inflammation. Newer research shows that it can help prevent Alzheimer’s and cancer. You should probably eat some of this.

6. Cumin

live longer

Photo by Hannah Lin

Spice up your life (actually though) and put some cumin in your next meal. It can improve your heart health and help you fight infections.

Fun fact: 1/2 teaspoon of cumin gets you twice as many antioxidants than in a carrot.

7. Hemp Seeds

live longer

Photo by Norah Cliff

The cannabis sativa plant – aka the plant where your marijuana comes from – can be quite useful for your health (besides providing you pot). The plant’s seeds are a great source of protein and vitamin E. Yay, vitamins.

8. Garlic

live longer

Photo by Kai Huang

While you might not get any action after eating this one – power to you if you do – you will be strengthening your immune system and joint health. Snaps for long living.

9. Popcorn

live longer

Photo by Andrea Kang

Popcorn is good for you, I repeat, popcorn is good for you. The antioxidants in popcorn improve heart health. My heart loves you too, popcorn.

10. Mustard

Mike Mozart" src="https://spoonuniversity.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/18339702248_9e04a94084_k-670x463.jpg" alt="live longer" width="670" height="463" />

Photo courtesy of Flickr via Mike Mozart

Keep on loading up that mustard on your hot dog because it can speed up your metabolism and lower your blood pressure, and it tastes dammnnn good.

11. Salmon

live longer

Photo by Grégoire Durand

It’s cool to get some fish in your diet (but definitely don’t cook this in the dorm). I recommend eating salmon. Even though it’s a stronger fish, it can decrease the risk of abnormal heartbeats, lower blood pressure, and slow the growth of artery clogging fat deposits.

12. Blueberries

live longer

Photo by Rachel Piorko

Besides being a summer favorite and tasting good in pretty much everything, blueberries provide some killer health benefits.

Excuse this long list, but blueberries can decrease inflammation, guard cells, and reduce the risk of certain cancers, heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.

13. Yogurt

live longer

Photo by Maggie Harriman

We all know sometimes yogurt can be hard to get down, but there’s obviously a reason everyone keeps pushing us to eat it. Eating yogurt (bleh) will help support your immune system, protect against disease, and help you absorb nutrients in foods.

14. Sweet Potatoes

live longer

Photo by Lily Allen

Mmmm, so sweet. Besides from being down right delicious, sweet potatoes can lower your blood pressure, and improve your vision, bone health and cell reproduction.

15. Green Tea

live longer

Photo by Jessica Payne

Green tea is totally trendy and, who figured, super good for you. In the short run it can keep you mentally alert and in the long run can help you lose weight and lower your cholesterol.

16. Spinach 

live longer

Photo by Rachel Piorka

If you watched Popeye back in the day, you probably should recognize that spinach is great for your body. Keep those greens coming because spinach holds a ton of calcium, supports cells, and helps with muscular and cardiovascular system functions.

17. Tomato Paste

live longer

Photo by Judy Holtz

Ah, an essential to any good tomato sauce, and to help you live longer. While this doesn’t mean you should be having pasta and red sauce every night (fine, it’s college) you should add this in your diet since it reduces your risk of prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease.

18. Dark Chocolate 

live longer

Photo courtesy of thehungryma.com

Tell me I can eat chocolate to live longer and I am so in. The darker the chocolate, the more heart and blood vessel support you will get. So eat your chocolate.

19. Oatmeal

live longer

Photo by Becky Hughes

To me, oatmeal should be a college staple – it’s cheap, easy, and can be pretty delicious. If you aren’t eating oatmeal – well, do it – because it can lower bad cholesterol, control blood sugar, and reduce the risk of heart disease or diabetes.

20. Nuts

live longer

Photo by Bari Blanga

Deez nuts? Ha. Seriously though, nuts are freakin awesome for you. They give you tons of energy in the short run, and can lower your chance for developing cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease in the long run… get ready to live longer.