School’s out for the summer and we have a relief from the juggling of papers, exams, practices, and social life. However, we are now faced with a dilemma that we never thought possible when we were pulling all-nighters in the library: what do we do with all this free time?

In order to not let our summer go to waste, we make a to-do list. We need a plan of attack for our summer to ensure we return to campus in the fall with stories that can compete with our friends who seem (at least on Instagram) to be traveling the globe.

Of course our list includes perfecting the tan, visiting the beach, and catching up with friends. But the true foodie needs to add the following items to his or her list to spice up their summer and make some conversation, and Instagram, worthy stories.

Take a Cooking Class

summer

Photo by Kristin Lane

While a variety of cooking classes are offered at cooking supplies stores such as Sur la Table and Williams-Sonoma, restaurants and town recreation centers may also host classes as well. Want to learn how to make the most exquisite homemade mozzarella to pair with juicy tomatoes?  Take a class.  Dying to learn how to make your own buttery croissants?  Take a class.

With so many different classes offered every week we’re sure you’ll find something delicious to cook up and share with family and friends that will turn you from “cook” to “chef” in no time.

Create a Farm to Table Dinner

summer

Photo by Kristin Lane

If you are keeping up with the “go organic” trend then you should head over to your local farmers market and select ingredients for a deliciously fresh dish. By buying all natural and locally sourced ingredients you are not only using foods your body will thank you for but also keeping small-town companies in business.

Get Creative with Summer Cocktails

summer

Photo by Lauren Beane

There’s nothing like sipping a cocktail on a tropical island… or just in your backyard. Try out some new drinks this summer with these recipes.

Make Homemade Nutella or Cookie Butter

summer

Photo by Clark Halpern

Because Nutella can be put on anything, and now you can make sure you have an endless supply. #blessed. Check out this great hazelnut spread recipe.

Celebrate National Food Days

summer

Photo by Inness Cheng

If you missed National Donut Day, I am truly sorry for your loss. No need to despair, though, other food days await. Be sure to hit up 7-Eleven on 7/11 for a free Slurpee and keep a look out for more summer deals.

Eat at a Restaurant Featured on a Food Network Show

summer

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

We’ve all been there. Sitting in front of the TV, drooling and desperately wishing the food on the TV screen could somehow magically jump into our laps. Time to fulfill your food fantasies.

Attend a Food Festival

summer

Photo by Michaela Becker

Food Festivals typically last for a weekend, but some can span an entire week.  Want to try any food in key lime flavor? There’s a festival for that. Since, they are usually held outside, you can work on that tan while enjoying good food. #winning.

There are countless festivals all throughout NYC this summer, so if you happen to have landed your dream internship in the city, definitely take a day to visit at least one of the many food festivals. Check out Fodor’s top voted food festivals and make your way to “foodie paradise” every weekend. These fabulous suggestions can be found here.

Perform a Blind Taste Test

summer

Photo by Maya Detwiller

So you think you know your foods? Put your taste buds to the test by tasting distinctly flavored foods while blindfolded and see if you can still distinguish between them. You may be surprised at how important food appearance actually is. Need some inspiration? Try this taste test and see if you can tell the difference between fro-yo and ice cream.

Take a Food Factory Tour

summer

Photo by Michaela Becker

If you are a curious foodie like I am, a factory tour (Like the tour of Guiness in the photo above) will give you a chance to see how your favorite snacks are produced. Best part of the tours: free samples at the end. Check out the Huffington Post’s best voted Food Factory Tours in America here.

Start a Vegetable Garden in Your Own Backyard

summer

Photo courtesy of clickandgrow.com

Nothing is fresher (or more convenient). Bad luck with plants? Try this foolproof method.

Sample the Food at a Ballpark

summer

Photo courtesy of John Dea

Summer=Baseball, but sometimes other things can catch a foodie’s attention at a game. Ballparks are loaded with specialty food venues that draw from the best the area has to offer. Summer=good eats.

Attend the Taping of a Cooking Show

summer

Photo courtesy of foodnetwork.com

Although getting tickets for a cooking show can be tough, it is definitely worth your time to fill out the form on the show’s website. Some shows let you taste the food and there’s a good chance you will be on TV. Who does not want to be famous and eat delicious food?

Take a Walking Food Tour

summer

Photo by Ivy Wanta

A walking food tour is led by a guide who brings you to variety of food places in a specific town or city. The guide will show you the hotspots of the city but also give you some background information and history. Instead of being focused on a city, the tour can also lead you to the best places to buy a specific food (such as chocolates) in an area.

Go to a Rooftop Bar

summer

Photo by Gabrielle Levitt

Going to a rooftop bar will make you feel like an A-lister while enjoying delicious food. What’s better than sipping Sangria while overlooking NYC? Check out some of the best rooftop bars in NYC here.

Participate in a Food Challenge

summer

Photo by Mira Nguyen

If you dream of becoming the next Man (or Woman) vs. Food then this is a must add to your to-do list. Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin’ Challenge anyone? Sign me up. Feel free to take on a food challenge in the comfort of your home, too, with this Saltine Cracker Challenge.

Create Your Own Food Instagram Account

summer

Photo by Michaela Becker

There is no better way to document your eating journeys than via Instagram. You will thank yourself later when you are in the dining hall and can look back at the delicious foods you ate over the summer.