We’ve all been there: stranded at home, hungry, cold, unwilling to face winter’s wrath. A full cupboard is a haven for those who don’t want to step outside in the freezing cold temperatures during the Scottish winter, especially when Tesco is a whole 5 minutes walk away and Aldi and Morrisons are even farther. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Follow this guide so you can satisfy your taste buds while indulging your lazy side.

1) Coffee

cupboard

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

We all know mornings are difficult. Especially with the four hours of sunlight we get a day, coffee is key and the perfect pick me up. If you don’t drink coffee already, this guide will help you ease yourself into becoming an addict.

2) Tea

cupboard

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Tea is just a universally useful and delicious beverage no matter how you take it. It is safe bet to always have some around. A friend pops over, give them a cuppa. It rains, have a cuppa. The electrician pops by – he deserves one too, it’s only polite. Besides ‘builder’s tea’ is named for a reason and tea is pretty much the fuel of our society.

3) Biscuits

cupboard

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

If you think you can get away with offering tea or coffee without a biscuit you are mistaken. What else are people supposed to dunk? They are also great on their own when you just need a quick sweet treat to brighten your day.

4) Flour

cupboard

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

You can never bake enough. Brownies, cookies, and cakes are not only delicious but baking them is actually is great way to stay sane. The more flour, the more possibilities for stress-relief and a satisfied stomach.

5) Popcorn

cupboard

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

The ultimate movie treat. Who needs to trek out to the cinema when you can snuggle into blankets on the sofa without having to go outside, and have a warm treat in minutes? Whether you like it sweet or salty, make sure to stock up.

6) Peanut Butter

Whether you slather it on toast, with an apple, or bake with it, peanut butter is going to remain a comfort food for a long time. Check out 10 Things To Do With Peanut Butter for some spoon-inspired ideas.

7) Beans

cupboard

Photo Courtesy of tumblr.com

There are all types of beans: kidney beans, butter beans, and baked beans to name a few. These protein filled legumes are good for one pot dishes such as chilli or stew or just for some good old baked beans on toast.

8) Pasta

cupboard

Photo courtesy of thisgalcooks.com

Quick, easy, and with infinite sauce recipes, pasta is a life saver at uni. When you only have an hour to be out of the house again? Pasta. Fancy a cold but filling salad? Pasta. A warm evening meal? Pasta. Having friends over? Pasta. The list really does go on. Pasta is versatile, tasty, and pretty much impossible to get wrong which makes it a cupboard essential.

9) Oils

cupboard

Photo Courtesy of flickr.com

Most cooking requires oil: frying, roasting, dressings, and even baking. There are so many different types of oil to use depending on what flavours you want, from vegetable to sesame to the trending favorite: coconut.

10) Whisky

Time to kick it, don't you agree? #whiskeywednesday

A photo posted by William & Park Studio (@williamandparkstudio) on

So everyone drinks vodka, which probably should be on this list. But we live in Scotland, home of so many varieties of whiskey, a fact we should take advantage of. Better yet, don’t just stock up your cupboard but visit a distillery too – check out this A -Z. Plus, bottles make perfect gifts for relatives.

11) Coconut Milk

Coconut milk is perfect for making soup or curry, and both are wonderful winter warmers that you can then freeze to save you time during deadline weeks.

12) Spices

cupboard

Photo by Emily Stamp

Spices make all the difference, without them food would be far more bland. Use them to create savory flavors whilst cooking curry, or add a dash of cinnamon to hot chocolate. You can share them between housemates too, as you don’t all need a set.

13) Porridge Oats

Perfect breakfast ??

A photo posted by Káťa❄ (@healthykate) on

There is nothing better than a warm breakfast on a cold morning to keep you going through the hours of classes that just seem to drag before lunch. It’s pretty healthy too, even the BBC agrees.

14) Dried Fruit, Seeds and Nuts

cupboard

Photo by Emily Stamp

Nuts and fruit mixes are great. They can give energy boosts to those of us who slump after lunch but need to stay alert for that afternoon class. You can create your own trail mixes, making them an even better snack with everything you want included.

15) Chocolate

cupboard

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

We were all waiting for this one to show up.

Whether you prefer dark chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate, cheap chocolate, fancy chocolate, vegan chocolate really doesn’t matter because we all turn to it when we need a sugar fix. It is the ultimate snack food and if you really need a good snack I would recommend putting peanut butter with it – there is a reason all the Americans miss Reese’s (even if our chocolate is nicer).

So there you have it St Andrews. Go forth and stock those cupboards.