It’s one of the most forgotten, unrecognized holidays of the year – Groundhog Day. However, it is important we give the little creature the proper respect, for he decides whether we see spring early or be forced to drudge through the winter cold for another six months.

And not only does Punxsutawney Phil (the name of the groundhog; a little much, I agree) determine the season, he also determines the type of produce we will eat for the next six months. This means whether we will be stuck eating our winter fruits and veggies or we will get a fresh new taste of spring produce.

Groundhog Day

Photo courtesy of @mitchellwoodphotography on Instagram

So here are some recipe ideas for you whether Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow (and we are stuck in winter, ugh) or for if he doesn’t see his shadow (and spring starts to bloom, yay).

If the groundhog sees his shadow

1. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Groundhog Day

Photo by Kelda Baljon

Although Brussels sprouts may sound drab, they are best during winter time. And trust me, throw a little bacon on them by following this recipe, and they are the last thing from drab. Even the groundhog would step out of his shadow for a nibble.

2. Sticky Toffee Date Cake

Groundhog Day

Photo by Tiffany Chen

That’s right, dates are a winter fruit. So while you are wrapped up in a blanket on a cold winter night, try this delicious sticky toffee date cake to warm you up.

3. Cinnamon, Ginger & Brown Sugar-Baked Grapefruit

Groundhog Day

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

The winter just got a whole lot sweeter (and sourer) since you found out grapefruit is a winter fruit. Make a grapefruit that will warm you up with the taste and smell of cinnamon, ginger, and brown sugar with this recipe.

4. Sweet Potato Chips

Groundhog Day

Photo by Sean Koetting

Since the groundhog decided we need six more weeks of winter, sweet potatoes, a winter vegetable, are here to stay. Try making some of these salty sweet potato chips. They’ll give you something to snack on all winter long.

5. Kale Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette

Groundhog Day

Photo by Laura Lim

If you are still keeping up with those New Year resolutions and trying to be healthy (snaps for you, keep up the good work), kale is the perfect winter vegetable for you. Try making this salad to keep you motivated on your healthy diet until spring finally comes.

6. Spiced Banana Pear Muffins

Groundhog Day

Photo by Kayla Pichichero

Spice up your winter by making these spiced banana pear muffins. They are the perfect way to add a winter fruit (pears) to your breakfast.

7. Leek and Mushroom Tart

Groundhog Day

Photo by Brandon Guild

If you are looking for something a little different to break up the long winter that’s to come, try making this handmade tart. It will remind you just how flavorful leeks (which are a winter vegetable) can be.

If the groundhog doesn’t see his shadow

1. Chocolate-Dipped Apricots With Coconut Flakes

Groundhog Day

Photo by Anika Schaedle, edited by Nikhil Tangirala

Spring is coming soon and that means you deserve some chocolate. Since apricots are a spring fruit, try combining the two in this easy recipe for a delicious and healthy dessert. You’ll be thanking the groundhog after this one.

2. Crispy Quinoa Broccoli

Groundhog Day

Photo courtesy of Sweet Beet and Green Bean

Because spring is here, it means summer is right around the corner. And that means time to start getting healthy for swimsuit season. But lucky for you, broccoli is a spring vegetable. Start munching on this yummy crispy quinoa broccoli for a great alternative to plain raw broccoli.

3. Vegan Avocado Mango Smoothie

Groundhog Day

Photo by Haley Durham

Smoothies and sun go perfectly together – so do avocados and mango. Since mangos are in season during the spring, this vegan avocado mango smoothie is perfect to sip under the sun.

4. Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese

Groundhog Day

Photo by Tess Wei

Try this spinach and artichoke grilled cheese if you really want to eat seasonal produce. Yup, artichokes and spinach are both spring vegetables. Eat this and you’ll never go back to normal grilled cheese again.

5. Pineapple Lemonade

Groundhog Day

Photo by Kirby Barth

Make spring feel like summer with this pineapple lemonade. Since pineapple is a spring fruit, it is the perfect way to create a spring-y twist on a classic summer drink.

6. Asparagus Fries

Groundhog Day

Photo by MaryRachel Bulkeley

To cure that craving but not overload on calories, try making these asparagus fries. They add a crispy crunch to a bland spring vegetable.

7. Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Groundhog Day

Photo by Alexander Ren

Sweeten up your spring with this strawberry rhubarb crisp.

Although most of us want spring to come sooner rather than later, luckily there are great fruits, vegetables, and recipes for both winter and spring. So wait until the little guy sees or doesn’t see his shadow so you know exactly what produce to buy based on the upcoming season. And remember to never forget about Punxsutawney Phil because not only does he decide the season, he decides your diet.