Venturing to different parts of the planet can be exciting and intimidating, especially if you’re going on a long flight. The tricky part of flying long-haul is bringing in healthy snacks. While there are TSA rules to follow, there are a variety of choices for your pick. I’ve compiled this list to help traveling folks pack your carry-on when you want to stay healthy on your flight. 

1) Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

Craving something for your sweet tooth but wanna stay healthy? Dark chocolate contains a chemical called flavanols, which help to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Paired with peanut butter, which is packed with healthy unsaturated fats, you won’t have to feel guilty snacking on sweets. 

2) Lightly-Salted Popcorn

Popcorns sold in theatres have a bad reputation for overloading on butter, but popcorn itself is actually good for your body. This diabetic-friendly snack contains more iron than spinach. What’s more surprising is that it contains more polyphenols, which are antioxidant compounds, than in fruits and vegetables. Look out for brands that go light on oil and salt to stay on track for your health.

3) Olive Snacks

For those who are want to look bougie and healthy, pack a bag of olive snacks with you. Not only do they have a low carb content, but they’re also a good source of monounsaturated fatty acids, which reduces the risk of heart disease and helps prevent cancer.

4) Cut-up Fruits (Like Apples, Melons, Bananas)

This one’s pretty self-explanatory. Having a handy cup of cut fruits in your carry-on helps beat the boredom in the cabin while staying healthy. Fruits generally are sources of ample vitamins and minerals that help replenish your body. Use sturdy plastic food containers to prevent crushing up the fruits. 

5) Kale Chips

If you’re a huge fan of adding kale to your salads, this snack is perfect. Kale chips contain lots of antioxidants, which protects your overall health and reduces inflammation in your body, cutting the risk of high cholesterol. What’s more, they’re a good source of Vitamin C, a nutrient that’s essential to help repair your cartilage. Who knew kale chips is a trendy, yet healthy snack?

6) Flavored Wheat Crackers (goes with hummus dip as explained below) 

Wheat is abundant in vitamins and minerals that help control obesity and prevents type 2 diabetes and the formation of gallstones. Fiber is a common mineral that can be found in wheat crackers. Fiber ensures a quick and smooth intestinal transit time in the digestive system. Wheat crackers can be enjoyed by itself or with dips, like hummus as stated below.

7) Hummus Dip

You’ll never get bored with the many flavors of hummus on the market, and you’ll also benefit from all the nutrients in it. Made from chickpeas, hummus is so rich in protein that it can curb your hunger and balance blood sugar levels. What’s more is that it’s high in iron, which boosts your energy and prevents you from feeling restless in your seat.

8) Roasted Edamame Beans 

Don’t be fooled by the intense flavor of roasted edamame beans, they have eight times the level of protein compared to a cup of milk. Roasted edamame beans also contain high levels of Vitamin B, which helps prevent anemia and helps develop new cells in the body.

9) Onigiri A.K.A Rice Balls 

Made with sticky rice, onigiri makes the perfect snack for your growling tummy. It has a high fiber content, which promotes a smooth digestive system. Eating onigiri also helps to boost your metabolism. What’s not to love from this Japanese snack?

10) Homemade Salad Wraps 

Fancy a fun, light, healthy snack on board? Making your own salad wrap will not only keep your full, but you can also pick your protein depending on what you put in it. The trick is to add no more than 3.4 oz/100ml of salad dressing because it’s categorized under liquids and gels. Check out this recipe as inspiration to make your own. 

11) Roasted Seaweed Strips

Also known as Nori Seaweed, this flavorful snack is full of nutritional benefits. It contains Vitamin B12 that helps form red blood cells and supports the brain and the nervous system to properly function. Roasted seaweed is also naturally low in calories and low in fat, hardly added with extra unhealthy ingredients. 

12) Nuts

Another one of the most common snacks in the plane is a handful of nuts. Generally, nuts are highly nutritious and lower cholesterol levels. Nuts are also good for your heart; they’re high in Omega-3 fatty acids that prevent strokes and other heart diseases. This link is an excellent guide to the various benefits of respective common nuts.

13) Whole Wheat Or Unsalted Pretzel Pieces 

Skip the regular pretzel pieces to cut down on the sodium levels and reduce the risk of heart diseases. Plain pretzel pieces is another snack that’s moderately low in calories and low in fat, banishing the guilt of snacking. It’s also high in fiber, aiding your digestive system and preventing constipation.

Being healthy is possible anywhere, even in the clouds. Next time you’re in for the long-haul, remember to check these TSA rules before boarding and check this list to save yourself from the heartbreak of throwing away forbidden food.