It’s that time of the year again. You can already begin to feel it — the air is getting cold. Sure, there’s no more sweating when walking to class but is it really necessary for the temperature to drop even more? Time to update your closet and search for that box of sweaters.

If you are anything like me, you detest the cold. Putting on layers and layers of clothes to take the trash out seems ridiculous. Seriously, walking to class is the worst part of the day — it feels like your hands are going to fall off without gloves on, or if they are not hidden in your jacket. And don’t get me started with the ears. Or feet. Or every inch of the body.

So, we’ve checked out some of the best warm foods from different cuisines to keep you warm for this winter. They will definitely make you forget about your freezing butt (at least for a while).

Mexican Food

Tortilla Soup

You will most likely be able to make this soup with random ingredients from your kitchen. Make it crunchy (or buy it crunchy, if you are too lazy to make one) and don’t forget to squeeze some lemon over your bowl s to get that unique tortilla soup taste. This recipe is hearty and will make you feel at grandma’s.

Chimichangas

Celebrando el #DíaDelChef con examenes #Chimichangas de #Chilorio #CocinaMexicana #México #AlumnosUD

A photo posted by ale sepulveda (@ale_sepu) on

What’s better than a burrito? A fried burrito. Basically, a chimichanga is a large burrito prepared with meat, rice, beans, vegetables and a random assortment of other Mexican ingredients inside a large tortilla. This monster recipe originated in Tucson, Arizona, when a restaurant owner accidentally flipped a burrito into the deep fryer. The whole world thank her later for her mistake.

Chilaquiles

warm

Photo by Helena Lin

A mix of corn tortilla cut into squares, with green or red salsa, cheese, and chicken. Usually served with eggs, beans, and sour cream on the side or on the actual dish. If you feel like this sounds like it requires a lot of work, check out this simple 5-ingredient chilaquiles recipe.

Asian Food

Pho

#pho #vietnamese ?

A photo posted by Alyse Pisciotta (@dj_illyse_) on

Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of broth, pho noodles, herbs and your choice of meat. Most people eat it with beef or chicken, or you can get creative and get it with shrimps. A definite must-try dish if you are not familiar with it, since it will leave you feeling healthy, full and warm. Or, you could get crazy and try these alternatives

Chicken Ramen Noodle Soup

warm

Photo by Andrew Seah

The cold weather hasn’t started without at least one ramen noodle soup in your stomach. Sure, ramen noodles are basically noodles cooked in boiling water, but the possibilities of steeping up your noodle soup game are endless. Make it healthier by adding pieces of chicken, vegetables, and an egg if you are feeling too crazy. Better yet, check out this article for genius ramen hacks.

Healthy Homemade Fried Rice

warm

Photo by Sarah Stettin

Try this healthy homemade fried rice recipe instead of driving up to your closest Thai restaurant to get food. When that Asian craving suddenly invades your thinking process, why not try making some rice yourself? After all, it is healthier and will only require like 5 ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Most importantly, it will distract you from the freaking cold.

American Food

Shepherd’s Pie

Because who doesn’t love an all-time classic. This dish is made with beef and a crust of mashed potato that will taste like Thanksgiving in your mouth. Fun fact: Shepherd’s Pie is used synonymously with “Cottage Pie.” I didn’t know that either.

Cookie Pizza

Thankfully, I never met someone who doesn’t love cookies or pizza. So a cookie pizza should be no different– a cookie pizza is a big cookie cut into triangles, like a pizza. But if you are anything like me, you will ignore the eating etiquettes and eat it in no particular order. Feel free to get creative and add toppings such as marshmallows , M&M’s, pretzels and more.  

Chili

The best part about chili, besides its taste, is that it goes with everything. On bread, tortilla, with chips, or accompany it with rice. Curl up on a ball, watch the next Narco’s episode and warm up while eating chili — with lots of cheese of course. If you are feeling healthy, you can even try a vegetarian chili

Baked Potato

Baked Potato- Last nite dinner. – #BakedPotato #HomeCooked #LastNiteDinner #Latergram ???

A photo posted by ?or???? (@yum_bai) on

The edible result of baking a potato. Serve with your choice of toppings, or make it simple with only butter and salt. Make sure the outside is crunchy and crispy and the inside is hot and fluffy. Potatoes are also incredibly cheap — about 33 cents per potato, so no worrying about a freezing butt and a lighter wallet. 

Pizza Mac and Cheese

warm

Photo by Tiare Brown

Say hello to the ultimate recipe of pizza mac and cheese. No need for extra words, just find the best of both worlds.  Disclaimer: Food coma more than likely to occur.

Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Tomato Soup

warm

Photo by Elyse Belarge

Adding a twist to the classic grilled cheese sandwich, one can never go wrong with pesto for the extra flavor. Ignore the dropping temperatures with the joy of toasted bread and melted cheese in your mouth. Enjoy these Italian flavors with a quick trip to the grocery store.

Meatloaf

warm

Photo courtesy of creativemeinspiredyou.com

Say what you want but  this dish is not only for your grandparents or Christmas dinner. You don’t have to be a meat lover to enjoy this comforting dish. Try this easy meatloaf recipe to feel like you are basically eating a meatball marinara pasta. Perfect dinner for a cold winter night.

warm