I don’t actually have the stats to back this claim, but I’m pretty sure everyone who have tasted Nutella would tell you that they love it. But how much do we actually know about the nutty spread? Here’s what you must know about the famous Nutella… no need to thank us.

It’s Loved Around the World

nutella

Photo courtesy of omgfacts

The amount of Nutella produced in 2013 can circle the world about 1.4 times.

American and European Nutellas are Different

nutella

Photo by Taylor Allen

The ingredients found in the two versions are slightly different. For example, the European spread uses vegetable oil, while the American version uses palm oil instead. This causes slight taste and consistency differences in the 2 versions.

It Falls Off the Shelf

nutella

Photo courtesy of Bloomberg Business

A jar of Nutella is sold every 2.5 seconds around the world. That’s faster than the rate of child birth around the world. Just let that sink in for a moment…

It’s So Good People Steal It By the Ton

nutella

Photo courtesy of ecoosfera

In 2013, a band of theives pulled off a $20,000 heist that stole 5.5 metric tons of the nutty goodness.

It is Bilingual

nutella

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

The name “Nutella” is derived from combining the English word “nut” with the Latin suffix for sweet, “-ella”.

It Holds a Guinness World Record

nutella

Photo courtesy of Guinness World Records

In 2005, Ferrero held the world’s largest continental breakfast that was attended by 27,000 people.

Yes… Ferrero Produces Nutella

nutella

Photo courtesy of Ferrero

Nutella is produced, and founded, by Ferrero SpA. The same company that brought us Ferrero Rocher, Tic Tac, and the Kinder chocolates. All hail Ferrero.

It Has a “Violent” History

nutella

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

In the 1940s, due to World War II, there was a chocolate shortage around the world. Ferrero attempted to make a cheaper alternative to chocolate, and came up with what is now known as Nutella.

Ferrero Hordes the World’s Hazelnuts

nutella

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

Currently, Ferrero uses 25% of the world’s hazelnuts to make Nutella.

Nutella Has Its Own Day

nutella

Photo courtesy of omgfacts

February 5th is “World Nutella Day”. So tell all your friends and throw a Nutella party that day.

It’s an Internet Sensation

nutella

Photo by Daniah Mohammed

On April 1st, 2015, a Spoon University article stating that our favourite nutty spread was being discontinued went viral. Don’t worry, it was all just a prank. We’re sorry for all the heart breaks we may have caused.

For more Nutella, check out these amazing articles: