Every year, Catholics ponder over what to give up for Lent. New Orleanians have it easy (or hard?) because of all the accessible, feel-good foods they should probably stop eating five times a week. But it's so tasty– how can one give it up for 40 days? Here are 11 NOLA foods you should probably give up for Lent, but will 100% not be able to.

1. Po' Boys

The most important part of the po' boy is the crispy-on-the-outside-and-soft-on-the-inside bread. New Orleanians take their French bread very seriously, since it plays a key role in tying that yummy sandwich into a beautiful present. Ditching po' boys and all that French bread this Lent would be ideal because of all the refined carbs, but they're such a staple to a New Orleans diet. 

2. King Cake

This might not be that hard to give up considering you've probably eaten pounds and pounds of king cake during the Carnival season. Maybe challenge yourself and give up all cakes for Lent instead. 

3. Beignets

Beignets from Café Du Monde are on any NOLA food bucket list, which is no surprise– all that powdered sugar makes these puppies finger-licking good. Fried food and sugar are common foods to give up for Lent, but this combination crushes even the strongest person.  

4. Biscuits and Gravy

A Southern tradition, buttery biscuits topped with creamy gravy complete the perfect Sunday brunch. Technically you can eat what you offered up for Lent on Sundays, so eat enough biscuits and gravy to last you the whole week. 

5. Jambalaya

Not only is this food fun to say, but it's also yummy to eat. A little Cajun seasoning mixed with andouille sausage gives your taste buds a run for their money. However, this spicy and flavorful concoction meets more than half your daily calorie intake in just one sitting. 

6. Fried Chicken

The easiest way to make food taste delicious is to fry it. The easiest way to make food bad for you is also to fry it. But imagine going 40 days without fried chicken. With that golden, crispy breading, it's hard to pass up.

7. District Donuts

Donuts are a popular food to give up for Lent; however, District Donuts creates works of art. Who knew the yummiest fried dough could also look so beautiful? Just looking at this picture will make you want to give anything else but donuts up for Lent. 

8. Crawfish Bread

We've established that New Orleanians love their French bread, but they also love their crawfish. Just like garlic bread, you cannot stop eating this once you've started. White bread is a good choice when deciding what to give up for Lent, but see how hard it will be to stick to when you realize these yummy appetizers fall onto the no-eat list.

9. Bread Pudding

pudding, caramel apple, caramel
Alison Mally

Gooey bread with caramelized sugar on top creates a tempting dessert that is hard to pass up. Most restaurants in New Orleans have bread pudding on their menus, which means that even if you decide to be brave and give it up, it will always be there to tempt you. 

10. Cheese Fries

You can find cheese fries anywhere, but the best cheese fries are found in New Orleans. These crispy waffle fries with extra cheese or added chili cure those late-night cravings. You might decide to give them up, but when midnight rolls around, you won't be able to say no. 

11. Willa Jean Cookies

Willa Jean's cookies and milk is a Tulane student favorite. The combination of salty and sweet flavors make them irresistible, and you more than likely won't be able to go into Willa Jean during Lent because of these tempting treats. 

Maybe while reading this article you figured out what you're giving up for Lent. Good luck if it's one of these yummy NOLA treats. Just remember, if you don't think you have the willpower to give up food, there are plenty of other things to give up for Lent this year.