As a young child, I ate so many sweet potatoes that my skin literally took on a distinctly orange tinge. I stopped eating them for about 15 years, but I’m now back on Team Sweet Potato and occasionally marvel at the orange glow emanating from my being.

In honor of sexy sweet potato glows, I’ve decided to compile some proof that sweet potatoes can (and should!) be eaten on more occasions than you may realize.

You see, sweet potatoes swing both ways. Actually, I would like to argue that sweet potatoes swing ALL ways. Does anything else exist that can cover such a large range of dietary preferences, geographic locations, textures, economic states, functions, and flavors? No. Sweet potatoes sweep the board.

Join me as we explore some of the many times in which the humble sweet potato are versatile AF.

1. You can choose between dipping them in something or dipping something in them.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Kimberly Buesser

As far as what you could dip in this sweet potato chipotle hummus, the possibilities are endless. I’d recommend pita chips, tortilla chips, toasted bread, baby carrots, cucumbers, celery, olives, chicken strips, french fries, or, most epic of all—sweet potato chips.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Although I highly recommend dipping these sweet potato chips in the previously mentioned chipotle sweet potato hummus, you could also dip them in other kinds of hummus, fresh salsa, french onion dip, 7-layer dip, or buffalo chicken dip.

2. You can serve them to all of your friends, vegan or paleo.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Natalie Beam

Hosting vegans? Wow them with this vegan sweet potato mac ‘n cheese.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Emily Hu

If you want your friends who follow the Paleo diet to bow down to you, serve them an apple and bacon stuffed sweet potato.

3. They can be made by broke college students as well as the swankiest of restaurants.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

Busy? Broke? Lazy? Hungry? Steam a sweet potato in the microwave and watch all of your problems dissolve into fluffy, sweet, orange-y goodness.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Lauren D’Amore

Or, if you have the cash and need to impress someone, fix them some of these sweet potato shrimp boats.

4. They encompass a full range of textures, from creamy to crispy.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Jessica Citronberg

In this curried butternut squash soup recipe, simply swap the squash with sweet potato for a hot, nourishing, creamy sweet potato soup.

True Life: I once at an entire bag of One Potato Two Potato sweet potato chips from Whole Foods while waiting for the bus. The irresistible crunch mixed with a perfect blend of sweet and salty makes for a dangerous situation. I highly recommend the experience.

5. They can be healthy, or nah.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Jennifer Cao

Make this sweet potato, apple, carrot and feta salad using fresh ingredients from the farmer’s market. Feel like a goddess.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Kelda Baljon

ORRRR put on a cozy (read: big) sweater and curl up with a bowl of sweet potato bacon mac ‘n cheese. This is actually a cheese-free recipe, but throw some in if your body says yes. Feel like the goddess of cheese, carbs, and bacon.

6. They can be consumed cold or hot.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Katie Zizimore

Q: What’s better than your favorite root vegetable, ice cream, and booze?

A: All of them, together, at once, in this sweet potato pie boozy milkshake.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Sarah Silbiger

Too cold for ice cream? Cuddle up with some steaming sweet potato lentil soup and stay warm all winter.

7. You can have them at any time of the day or night.

Sweet potato pancakes? Yasss. Root vegetables for breakfast is how I roll.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Carly Gulasarian

Late night munchies? Whip up a batch of these delicious sweet potato cookies.

8. You can top them with anything from cheese to marshmallows.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Lauren D’Amore

I’m a big fan of staying in, and these cheesy sweet potato wedges may be the most perfect staying-in food I’ve ever heard of.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Lauren D’Amore

The Thanksgiving sweet potato is ideal for two situations: the first is Thanksgiving, the second is when your sweet tooth is raging but all you have in the house is sweet potatoes and marshmallows.

9. You can eat them in any part of the country.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Ali Toes

Holla @ me, west coast friends. As a native Oregonian, I can verify that sweet potatoes in tacos are a win. Nom yourself some chipotle sweet potato tacos.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Abby Wang

Now I live in Pittsburgh, boo. But wait, do I spy sweet potato fries being served with this buffalo chicken wrap from Peter’s Pub? I could literally walk there in 3 minutes. Midwest, maybe you’re alright after all.

10. They can be transformed to fit any culture’s customs.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Julia McKellar

Although they originated in Portugal, empanadas have reached much of Latin Europe, Latin America, and parts of other regions. Do yourself a favor and make some sweet potato and brie empanadas.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Katherine Baker

These sweet potato latkes are an orange spin-off of the classic Hanukkah dish.

11. They’re in two of the best food groups: fries and bread.

Sweet potatoes

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

I strongly believe that sweet potato fries are superior to normal fries. Look at these magnificent, delicious bundles of beta-carotene. Time to stop drooling and go make some oven-baked sweet potato fries.

Sweet potatoes

Gif by Clarisse Callahan

As Freelee the Banana Girl would say, “carb the f*ck up” with this spiced sweet potato bread.