Any college student will tell you that freshman year can be difficult.  With a new environment, different classes, and a new lifestyle, things can get really overwhelming.  It's important to stay ahead of the curve and make sure you're prepared for anything life throws your way.  Check out these tips I learned to help you survive freshman year.

#1: Get Organized

This one is pretty basic, but it can be easy to fall short with it.  Of course it's important to make sure you have your schedule in order, but it's just as important to have your assignments and personal space organized as well. 

I use a planner to keep my classes and assignments organized.  At the beginning of the semester I go through each syllabus and put the due dates in my planner.  I also use a different color for each class.  This has helped me manage my time better by knowing what is due, when, and which class it's for.

#2: Stay on Task

With technology constantly growing and improving, it's easy to get distracted.  Put your phone on silent or vibrate and start making a habit of not looking at it until you've completed the amount of time you've set aside for a particular assignment.  There are great apps and Google Chrome extensions to help keep you on task, such as Offtime and StayFocusd.

#3: Don't Overwork Yourself

One of the key strategies to this is starting early.  While staying on task is important, there's also a point where you're doing more harm than good.  I like to work on an assignment for 50 minutes, then take a 20 minute break to let my mind relax before starting the cycle again. I learned this in high school and it helped me stay more focused than trying to work through an assignment without any breaks.  It can even improve your work by giving your mind a break then revisiting the material.

#4: Talk to Your Professors

My freshman year I never spoke to my professors unless I had to.  I realized during my second semester how important it was to create a connection with them, especially if they are in your desired career field.  They can provide you with a lot of useful information and will also be helpful if you need recommendations for jobs or scholarships.  It may be kind of intimidating at first, but once you've spoken to multiple professors, or even just one multiple times, it will get easier.  

#5: Don't Be Afraid to Ask for Help

When it comes down to it, there's most likely someone else who's wondering the same thing you are- they're just scared to ask.  Life is about learning.  Most people aren't going to judge you just because you need help.  After all, it's all about improving yourself.

#6: Explore

A big part of college is learning new information and meeting new people.  It's also a good time to find new interests and hobbies.  Check out a new organization that seems interesting or take a class you never expected yourself to.  It's possible you will find information in these places will help with your major or even turn into a minor.  Take some time to explore the city around you too.  You may find your new favorite restaurant or study spot.

#7: Take Time to Yourself

Trying to survive freshman year takes a lot out of you.  Of courese, your studies are important, but you can't succeed if you aren't feeling like your best self.  I like to take one day out of the week where I don't work on assignments unless it's absolutely necessary.  Take this time to binge watch Netflix, read a non-school book, or do something fun.  Whatever it is, just make sure it's stress-free and something you enjoy.

#8: Don't Skip Sleep

College students are made out to be sleepless zombies that lives off of coffee and energy drinks, but that doesn't have to be the case.  I'm a junior and have never pulled an all-nighter, even when I took 18 hours.  The only way this was possible was by planning and thinking ahead.  According the University of Georgia, college students need 6-10 hours of sleep, depending on your personal needs.  If you're feeling extra tired, try going to sleep an hour earlier than normal and see how you feel. 

Remember: you can't make up for lost sleep, so creating a routine will help improve your health, mood and grades.

#9: Pay Attention to Resources

Hey, UNT students, did you know we had a meditation room?  Head over to the fourth floor of the Union to relax and unwind.  It's a great way to de-stress in between classes.  Check out all the resources UNT has to offer. 

There are a wide range of resources available at all campuses, such as writing labs, counseling services, and accommodations for students with disabilities.  These are all great ways to maximize your success at college and survive freshman year.  If you're not sure what resources are available to you, visit your campus' website or ask someone where to find this information.

#10: Don't Forget to Be Yourself

There are a lot of different influences on college campuses.  While certain aspects about you will change, don't do it just to fit in.  It's important to be who you want to be, not what anyone else wants you to be.  Be confident in who you are and have fun.