With a new semester come sporadic bursts of motivation in your life. You’re totally going to get straight A’s, get involved in extracurriculars and of course you’ll eat healthy and work out every day. And maybe you’ve been freaking out because you can’t get in to your favorite pair of jeans without a little shake and a lot of wiggle. So you’re cutting down by going paleo, you’re trying out vegetarianism and while you’re at it, maybe you’ll hit up Jenny Craig. But before you sign away your calorie-loving soul, find your place in these 10 stages of going on a diet; it might just save you the time and energy you need to really kickstart your new, healthy lifestyle.

1. You notice your clothes fit a little tighter than they used to.

Photo courtesy of funny-memes.org

2. You throw out all the junk food in your house and plan to start eating healthy. 

Photo courtesy of collegetimes.com

3. You do extensive research on different diets and how to lose weight without actually doing anything. 

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

4. You soon realize you know nothing about dieting or where to begin.  

Photo courtesy of WiffleGif.com

5. You eat a salad once and think you’re on a roll.

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

6. Your willpower is tested when you go out with friends and are forced to watch them eat all the food groups you’ve just cut out of your diet.

Photo courtesy of reactiongifs.com

7. All you can think about is food as you scroll through endless foodporn on Instagram.

Photo courtesy of reactiongifs.com

8. After going strong for a while, you decide you deserve to splurge a little, which might turn into more than you planned for.

Photo courtesy of gifrific.com

9. But it’s okay, you’ll wake up early tomorrow, work out and immediately regret it.

Photo courtesy of reddit.com

10. After a torturous week of dieting you say, “Screw it,” and decide that you’re awesome just the way you are. 

Photo courtesy of media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com

More where that came from:

Debunking the Gluten-Free Diet Myth

5 Healthy Swaps In the Kitchen

Does Serving Size Matter for “Healthy” Foods?