Some food you only have on special occasions but others are definite daily staples that can make or break your day. These are some critical calories that you’ll have to add onto your shopping list. The best part is that they are all within close proximity of campus so there’s really no excuse not to buy them.

1. Cereal/ Granola

Photo courtesy of@now_forager on Instagram

Why it’s great: versatility

Cereal or granola can be a snack in of itself or it can be paired with milk, peanut butter, yogurt, fruits, etc. You can never really get sick of cereal. For those still sticking to their New Years Resolutions, try a minimally processed cereal or granola with whole grains and the least amount of added sugar.

Where to get it: Munger if you’re cheap and lazy, Safeway if you have a car, Trader Joes if you have the time, Whole Foods if you’re really serious about your resolutions.

2. Nuts/Dried Fruit

Photo courtesy of @elenoreearth on Instagram

Why it’s great : it’s filling and is very on the go. Snack healthy and look out for added sugars, added preservatives in the dried fruit, and added oils to the nuts. Munger has a great selection of nuts and dried fruit you can get with your meal plan dollars. Definitely recommend the dark chocolate covered cashews.

Where to get it: Munger, Trader Joes, WholeFoods

3. Milk (Almond, Soy Milk)

Photo courtesy of @Califiafarms on Instagram

Why it’s great: nutritious, cereal’s best friend

You can’t really get sick of milk, whether you prefer it from a cow, an almond, or even from hemp??? There’s so many milks to choose from. Milk is great for smoothies, cereal, and even mixed with tea.

4. Nut Butter

Photo courtesy of @chickpeainthecity on Instagram

Why it’s great: Eat it with anything!

Peanut butter is certainly an essential. But there are also alternatives to try out like almond butter or Justin’s chocolate hazelnut butter if you’re looking for a healthier alternative to Nutella (found in single serve packets at Munger).

Where to get it: Munger has an assortment of Justin’s peanut butter and Skippy’s.

5. Fruit (fresh or frozen)

Photo courtesy of @minimemakesmefit on Instagram

Why it’s great: What’s better than a fresh piece of sweet fruit? It’s got all the fiber, minerals, and it is refreshing.

Where to get it: If you’re cheap, Arrillaga or other dining halls close to you. If you’re fancy, there’s a farmer’s market on California Ave every Sunday morning that ends at 2pm.

6. Popcorn

Photo courtesy of @myveggievoyage on Instagram

Why it’s great: for those Netflix and Chill nights or an easy fix when hanging out with friends

Where to get it: Munger (again, because why go out of your way to get popcorn)

7. Clif Bars

Photo courtesy of @foodlyfitness on Instagram

Why it’s great: very on the go, filling.

Where to get it: Amazon sells bulk, Munger has multitude of flavors

8. Oatmeal

Photo courtesy of @jessesoupritchard on Instagram

Why it’s great: heart healthy, fibrous, easy if you have access to microwave or water heater.

Where to get it: Munger

You can top oatmeal with whatever your heart desires and can create a masterpiece every morning. Nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter, almond milk, granola are all great toppings. There’s really no excuse not to eat breakfast now.

9. Bread

Photo courtesy of @kiaorakiana on Instagram

Why it’s great: versatility

How easy are PB&J sandwiches really? Or get fancy with your bread and top it with sliced avocado, tomato, and a pinch of pepper and salt.

Where to get it: Munger market

10. Canned Soup

Photo courtesy of @courtina_k on Instagram

Why it’s great: you don’t have to leave your room when you’re sick.

Who wants to leave the comfort of their bed on a rainy day when you’re sick? It’s great to have canned soups around to heat up for a quick but satisfying warm meal. The soup will help you get better and is really minimal effort. Just look out for the salt content when you’re picking out soups.

Where to get it: Munger