Often confused with granola, muesli is a super popular breakfast item in Europe. Although both are made with oats and mix-ins like nuts and seeds, muesli isn't baked, making it less crunchy and more savory than granola. It's typically eaten with yogurt or milk and topped with a variety of fruits like banana, apricots, or berries, and is a balanced meal full of protein and healthy fats. The following muesli recipes are particularly good for making in a dorm room because so few ingredients are needed. All you really need to do once you prep these recipes is cut up some fruit to enjoy on top.

#SpoonTip: Some of these recipes ask you to toast the oats. You can either use a toaster oven for this or omit this step entirely, as plain oats are safe to eat.

1. Basic Muesli

cereal, granola, muesli, sweet, milk
Isabel Wang

This recipe is perfect if you're new to muesli. It's made with easy-to-find, clean ingredients like rolled oats and dried fruit. Since this is such a simple recipe, you can go crazy with your toppings. Think: bananas, nut butter, cookie butter, and fresh fruit.

2. Decadent Dark Chocolate Muesli

Hot chocolate in a bowl the best way I can describe this recipe. It contains chunks of 70% dark chocolate to give it that decadent sweet flavor while keeping it on the healthier side. I would recommend eating this with unsweetened almond milk because the muesli is very rich and doesn't need any added sweetness. 

3. Protein-Packed Muesli

If you're looking for a protein-packed breakfast or a healthy post-workout snack, this is the recipe for you. The hemp protein in this muesli makes it perfect for athletes and gym bunnies alike. If you want even more protein, mix it with some Greek yogurt. 

4. Blueberry Quinoa Muesli

This recipe calls for toasted oats, but if you're in a dorm or don't have an oven, you could omit this step and use raw oats instead. The dried blueberries allow this muesli to be kept fresh for weeks in an airtight container, but you'll probably blow through it in a few days. 

5. Overnight Muesli

yogurt, milk, cereal, muesli, granola
Ali Astrachan

If you're looking for a healthy grab and go breakfast, try this muesli recipe. It's a creamy, pudding-like mixture that you throw together the night before. Put this in a mason jar for easy transport.

6. Overnight Apple Muesli

This overnight muesli is made with sweet gala apples and dairy-free almond yogurt to make it creamy and extra thick. Top it with your favorite berries to balance the sweetness with some tang. 

7. Cinnamon Muesli

If you want to let go of your Cinnamon Toast Crunch addiction, try this healthier option instead. This high fiber muesli is way better for you because it's sweetened with dates and dried apples. Mix it with vanilla soy milk to make it even more delicious. 

8. Homemade Bircher Muesli

This recipe is basically a fancy version of overnight oats. It makes just one serving, but you can double the recipe and make a big batch for busy mornings.

9. Coconut Apricot Muesli

I recommend buying toasted coconut for this recipe to avoid having to toast it yourself like the recipe recommends. The recipe suggests to use Califia Almond Milk with this muesli, which is my personal favorite almond milk brand.

10. Peanut Butter Muesli Bars

I saved the best for last. This is a recipe for muesli bars, which are similar to granola bars but there's no baking required. I love to have this as a study snack or pack them for a long road trip. The mixture of peanut butter and seeds keeps me full for hours. 

#SpoonTip: If you don't like peanut butter, you could use any nut butter you'd prefer.

Make a healthier choice the next time you go to the store; instead of buying a sugary box cereal that's not so good for you, stock up on nuts and seeds to make one of these simple muesli recipes. They take five minutes to put together but can last you for weeks.