The Midwest is often one of the most ignored and looked over regions in the United States. However, our food culture is one of the best and not to be messed with. While we will humbly let other regions think they have the best food (New York pizza, I'm looking at you), a true local knows that Midwest food is best.

It's impossible to not stand out as a tourist when visiting, but luckily, there are some food rules to follow to be more in tune with the culture. You can judge our cold weather and agriculture all you want, but don't mess with our food.

1. It's Called Puppy Chow

It's not called Muddy Buddies or Monkey Munch. It's just not. If you've never heard of either somehow, puppy chow is essentially Chex mix coated in chocolate, peanut butter, and confectioner's sugar. It's messy and fun to make, and perfect for any party or bake sale. 

2. Anything goes when it comes to fried food

You can fry anything you want to, be it oreos, ice cream, or even butter. So called "fried" cheese curds are just called cheese curds here (and they're the best). 

3. Culver's is the best fast food restaurant

Speaking of cheese curds, Culver's is hands down the most amazing fast food restaurant in the world. Dairy Queen's blizzard has nothing on Culver's concrete mixer. 

4. Ranch dressing goes on everything

Forget about all other condiments. Here, Ranch dressing reigns king. People will put it on literally everything. If you add some to your order, you can almost never go wrong. 

5. Cincinnati chili is the best way to do chili

You can't do chili without pasta, and Cincinnati chili does it perfectly. Also, any true Midwesterner (especially if they're from Wisconsin) will know that it's not chili without a heaping pile of cheese. 

6. Custard over ice cream, any day

Thanks to the egg yolk, custard is thicker and creamier than regular ice cream. But rest assured, there's no better custard in the world than Kopp's Frozen Custard.

7. Green Bean Casserole — sounds disgusting, tastes amazing

If you want your kids (or are even trying to get yourself) to eat vegetables, this is the way to go. I know loads of people who won't eat green beans plain that love it in this casserole. 

8. Really, anything can be turned into a casserole

You like something? Throw it in a dish with a few other ingredients and you have the perfect family meal. If you're looking for midwest food, a tater tot casserole is the way to go. 

9. Deep Dish Pizza just isn't as good anywhere else

It's called Chicago-style pizza for a reason. People who have come over and tried it don't quite understand the upside down assembly of the pizza, but really, it's the only way to do it.

10. In the perfect burger, the cheese goes inside the patty, not outside

sandwich
Claudia Karademas

Called a Jucy Lucy (or sometimes a Juicy Lucy), this burger originated in Minneapolis. The oozing cheese brings your typical burger up a notch. 

If you're from the Midwest, I bet you're aching to head to a Culver's or have one of Mom's casseroles right now. If not, it's time to drive up here and try some of the best comfort food in the world.