Ever notice how society doesn't really talk about mental illness? I find it kind of funny since 1 in 4 people worldwide will be affected by some type of mental ailment during their lifetime. That statistic may seem shocking, but what if you replaced mental with physical? The shock factor decreases because in today's world, physical ailments are more socially acceptable than mental ailments. Unfortunately, what people don't realize is that the mind can get sick, just like the body.

Luckily, a few people on Instagram are dedicated spreading mental health awareness. These accounts are educating the public on mental health, and the realities of living with a mental illness. Whether you're a sufferer, know someone who is suffering, or simply want to know more, you've come to the right place.

@thisismybrave

This account has people share their mental health journeys (through essays, poetry and music) in order to end stigma. It can be a great way to educate yourself on mental illnesses, as well as support the cause. It's especially pretty awesome because This Is My Brave is also a non-profit organization dedicated to helping others. #yas

@andysmanclubuk

If you're a dude, and you're looking for some dude support, this is the account for you. The Instagram is run by a mental health group meant just for guys. They meet every Monday at 7 to talk about their problems at a bar in the UK. However, for those of us that simply can't make it, the account has tons of helpful pictures and videos to check out. 

@breakyostigma

This account is all about breaking the mental illness stigma (if that wasn't already obvious). It features memes, photos, drawings, stories and other material to portray that mental illness is far from taboo. In fact, some of the posts are pretty funny. 

@letstalkaboutmentalhealth

There's no such thing as too many stories, am I right? This account is linked to a website where people share a bit about their mental health journeys. People only disclose their first names, It's super easy to follow, and of course, it's completely inspiring. Plus, the Instagram is full of pretty colors.

@introvertdoodles

This is for you, introverts. This account is collection of doodles by an introvert named Marzi. She's totally come to terms with her introverted ways, and she shares what she knows through pictures. As for mental illness, she has a section dedicated to anxiety as well as mental health. Oh, and don't forget to check out her book of doodles

@sadgirlsclubpbg

Hey Ladies, Elyse Fox has blessed us all with this magical account (and club). For those of you who don't know, Elyse recently shared her battle with depression with the world (#brave) and now she's guiding women on their mental health journeys. This account is filled with information about all kinds of mental illnesses, and if you head over to the website, there's a lot more to learn. 

@mentalhealthdaily

The simplicity and highly relatable content of this account is probably what makes it so successful (over 68 thousand followers). It's literally just a compilation of mental health quotes, but you're bound to find one that connects with you. 

@theofficialsadghostclub

No, you don't have to be a ghost to join this club. The account is for anyone who has ever felt sad, (so, pretty much everyone), and uses comics to spread positive mental health awareness. You can even pair your sadness with some pretty rad merchandise. 

@rubyetc_

Mental illness can be a bit of a tough topic to discuss, but this account tackles the topic with humor. Similar to @introvertdoodles, this Instagram is loaded with funny sketches that are related to mental illness (and life in general). It's linked to a blog that's based in the UK, and you can find more sketches there, or in the book

@thetremblingofaleaf

This woman is as real as real gets. She openly discusses her battle with anorexia, and all of the nasty thoughts that come with it. The account is raw, emotional and powerful, and most importantly, a must-see. 

As you can see, mental health is no joke. Mental illnesses are real, but luckily there's a community out there supporting the cause, and spreading knowledge each day (and now, you can be a part of it). #squadup

If you, or a loved one is considering suicide, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (it's free).