Some of my best college memories happened at Buffalo Wild Wings, and I've spent a lot of time (and money) visiting various locations of this wing chain, especially on Boneless Wing Thursdays. But as much as I love B-Dubs, I have to admit that most of the menu isn't exactly "healthy." Most of the food is high in calories, greasy, and not very nutritious, none of which is surprising since it is a sports bar. But if you're looking for healthier foods to enjoy at this beloved chain, all is not lost. BWW has a few options that are on the healthier side of the spectrum.

BWW isn't so healthy that you should hit it up on a weekly basis, but there are a number of options/substitutions that have fewer calories, saturated fat, and sodium. These healthy Buffalo Wild Wings menu items are grilled as opposed to fried, and/or contain more vitamin-rich ingredients such as fresh veggies. 

#SpoonTip: All nutritional information is taken from Buffalo Wild Wing's Nutrition Guide.

Mains

While most mains at B-Dubs are fried, smothered in sauce, and gloriously greasy, there are a few lighter options you can check out.

Naked Tenders

I'd never even heard of naked tenders before discovering them at Buffalo Wild Wings. Naked tenders are grilled chicken tenders with no breading or frying involved. They also have significantly less calories, fat, cholesterol, and carbs than crispy tenders.

#SpoonTip: Naked Tenders are usually served with fries, so be sure to substitute them for veggies if you're looking for a well-balanced meal.

Grilled Chicken Wrap

A large flour tortilla filled with grilled chicken, cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes is not only delicious, but it's also a healthier option compared to the buffalo chicken ranch wrap and most of BWW's other sandwich options.

Grilled Chicken Buffalitos

Not one, but two flour tortillas are filled with grilled chicken, lettuce, house-made pico de gallo, cheese, and sour cream. This is one of the more flavorful healthy menu options. Although a bit high in sodium, grilled chicken Buffalitos are a pretty nutritious options overall.

#SpoonTip: This main is served with chips and salsa, so no need to substitute here.

Wings

Wings are some of the more unhealthy options at BWW's because they're fried and often smothered in fatty sauces, but there are ways around it. You may love those signature sauces, but try opting for dry seasonings instead. They basically have no fat or cholesterol, and have significantly less calories and sodium.

#SpoonTip: Boneless wings are breaded and fried, making traditional wings a lot healthier for you.

Shareables, Sides, & Extras

Most appetizers and sides on the Buffalo Wild Wings menu are fried, which significantly decreases their nutritional value. When food is fried, it absorbs the fats from the oil, thus increasing both your calorie and fat intake. Try the following options instead to avoid these unnecessary fats in your diet.

Tomato & Cucumber Salad

This side consists of tomatoes, cucumber slices, and red onions tossed with lemon vinaigrette and blue cheese crumbs. It's a much healthier substitute to potato wedges or fries.

Chips & Salsa

Nachos may seem tempting with their numerous toppings and that gooey queso, but with a whopping 1,000+ calories you may want to go a little lighter on the appetizers given that the main courses tend to also be high in calories. Keep things simple with warm tortilla chips and house-made salsa to share with your friends instead. 

Veggie Boat

A veggie boat is a great substitute for a side of fries. It's considered an "extra" rather than a side on the menu, but all you have to do is ask your server to substitute the fries for the veggie boat. It's also easy to order from the online menu. You can also ask for salsa or lemon vinaigrette rather than ranch or blue cheese. 

Greens

Buffalo Wild Wings has a small selection of salad options, which initially healthy, but it's important to note that the salads can be high in calories, fats, and sodium as well. For example, a fan fave at B-Dubs is the Buffalo Chicken Salad, which consists of crispy buffalo chicken, leafy greens, tomatoes, red onions, blue cheese crumbles, and a side of buffalo blue cheese dressing. It may not seem unhealthy, but with 1,130 calories (with half of them being calories from fat) and a high sodium content, it's not as "healthy" as you would expect a salad to be.

#SpoonTip: Salad dressings such as Caesar and ranch also contain saturated fats, sodium, and added sugar.

Garden Salad

This salad consists of leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, red peppers, house-pickled red onions, shaved Parmesan, and croutons, and is served with a side of lemon vinaigrette and garlic toast. Since the garden salad consists of veggies and a vinaigrette, you can rest easy knowing that these calories are providing you with nutrients your body actually needs. It also has the lowest sodium count, but does have more than the ideal limit of 1,500mg per day for most adults, so keep this in mind.

#SpoonTip: If you want to add a protein to this salad, the grilled chicken breast is your best bet. 

Side Salad

A side salad is basically a mini garden salad, consisting of the same ingredients but in a smaller serving. This would also be a good side to order in place of French fries. 

Drinks

While it's obvious that you should avoid sugary sodas if you're trying to be healthy, B-Dubs has a variety of lemonades and limeades that have just as much sugar and even more calories. 

Some of the beverages served at Buffalo Wild Wings that you can order to stay on the healthier side of things include unsweetened iced tea, coffee, fruit juices, and, of course, water. All of these drink options have much less sugar and calories, and you don't have to worry about preservatives.

Overall, it is possible to maintain a healthier diet and still dine at your local B-Dubs every now and then. It's all about self-control and moderation. It's totally okay to enjoy a plate of wings and fries every now and then, but it's nice to know that your favorite wing spot supports your dietary needs. I hope you try these healthier BWW options and find new favorites.