Getting your lazy, Netflix-watching butt to stay active can be difficult during the summer. Here’s ten easy ways to conquer the couch potato mindset while exploring the coolest parts of Atlanta.

1. Roller skate down the Belt Line

atlanta

Photo courtesy of @atlantabeltline on Instagram

The average Joe (or in this case, Atlantian) bikes or jogs down the Belt Line. Instead, get a group of friends and dig up your old roller skates and skate your way through Atlanta’s coolest part of town to get that heart rate up.

#SpoonTip: If you’re a little rusty, it might be a good idea to practice before heading to the Belt Line as it can get pretty crowded, especially on weekends. Face-planting into a biker isn’t a whole lot of fun (trust me).

2. Take a stroll at one of Atlanta’s many festivals

atlanta

Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia.org

Atlanta’s festival game is on point this summer with a long list of different happenings through August. Channel your inner child at the Ice Cream Festival in Piedmont Park or put your artsy pants on for the Artist Market in downtown Alpharetta. Seeing as though it IS Hot-lanta, lather up on sunscreen and stay hydrated just in case you get distracted by all the festivities.

3. Walk your dog at a dog park

atlanta

Photo courtesy of Andrew Zaragoza on flickr.com

Not only will you be active, but your pup will be too as you’re walking them around and socializing with other dogs and their owners. There are many dog parks around Atlanta such as Vinings Mountain Dog Park, Freedom Barkway, and Piedmont Park’s dog park (my personal favorite). From personal experience, don’t forget to have some kind of pooper-scooper handy because improper dog park etiquette is HIGHLY frowned upon.

4. Morning yoga in Piedmont Park

atlanta

Photo courtesy of Anna Norris on flickr.com

Get your Downward Dog ready and attend one of Piedmont Park’s weekly sunrise yoga sessions. They are totally free, but don’t forget your own mat and water. What’s nice is whether you have yet to master the fine art of yoga or you consider yourself an avid yogi, you can get something great out of attending one of these classes such as finding your inner chi. That’s what yogis say, right?

5. Go to a museum

atlanta

Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia.org

Museums are a great way to be active because as you’re walking around admiring all the exhibits, you won’t even realize how many steps you get in. Atlanta has so many different museums for every person to enjoy. There’s the Coke Museum for those looking to channel their inner tourist, the Aquarium for animal lovers of all ages, the High Museum for the sophisticated art enthusiast, and Fernbank for the science and history nerd in all of us. Check the each museum’s websites for special student discounts and fun themed events.

6. Hike to the top of Stone Mountain for a picnic

atlanta

Photo courtesy of bqbennett on flickr.com

Take summer picnic to a whole new level (literally). Pack a picnic basket and hike your way to the top of Stone Mountain to eat and enjoy one of the best views of Atlanta. For the novice hikers out there, climb the mountain one way and take the “summit skyride” the other way to make the venture a little more bearable.

7. Go to Six Flags

atlanta

Photo courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org

Spending the day at Six Flags over Georgia is a super fun way to stay fit and soak up some vitamin D. As you’re walking around all day and screaming your face off on the legendary Goliath, you won’t even realize how many calories you’ve burned. Since long waits and heat don’t usually mix well, I recommend purchasing the fast passes to shorten the wait time for each ride. It obviously costs a little extra, but is definitely worth it.

8. Shoot the Hooch

atlanta

Photo courtesy of @Thrillist on Pinterest.com

Summer in Atlanta isn’t complete without getting a group of friends and tubing down the famous Chattahoochee River. There are even a couple of “secret” spots to jump off a rock or ledge into the river. Since the heat and paddling is sure to work up an appetite, pack a picnic basket and drinks to munch on throughout the day.

9. Go to the zoo

atlanta

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Channel your inner child and take a trip to the Atlanta Zoo. While walking around and admiring all the amazing animals, you won’t even realize you’ve got in your daily exercise and walked a solid amount of miles. To score a good deal, check the Zoo Atlanta website to learn about special offers like the college student discount.

10. Go to an outdoor concert

atlanta

Photo courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org

Atlanta has some awesome outdoor concerts this summer from Journey and the Doobie Brothers at Lakewood Amphitheater to Modest Mouse at Chastain Park. Running around and dancing outside is great exercise, and you won’t even realize how active you’ve been. If your wallet is on the lighter side like mine, attend one of the many free concerts around town such as the 21+ Sunset Sessions at Park Tavern in Piedmont Park.