The thing about nostalgia is that you never know when it creeps up on you.

So the other day when I was sipping my coffee while it rained outside, the whiff of wet earth somehow took me back to my school days. The days when we’d do just about anything to go and get wet in the rain and come back home to warm pakodas made by mom.

This got me reminiscing about the food that ruled my childhood. So here’s my list. What’s yours?

1. Smiles

childhood

Photo courtesy of mccainpotatoes.com

These delectable delights never failed to actually get a smile on our faces. Be it as our favorite meal for the school lunch breaks or as the snack our mothers whipped up when guests came over, these mouthwatering mashed potatoes were loved by all.

2. Monaco and Krack Jack Biscuit Canapes

childhood

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Making canapes with these classic savoury snacks made us feel no less than a master chef. From cheese to aaloo-bhujia, we had a topping to suit every mood.

3. Cotton Candy

childhood

Photo courtesy of www.cottoncandymachinewholesale.com

Hearing the “Budhi ke Baal wala aagaya” cry is something we’re all quite familiar with. Every weekend, we waited for the cotton candy man who came whistling on his bicycle. Then we eagerly spent our Rs. 10 pocket money, which we had been religiously saving all week, on the biggest cotton candy we could spot.

4. Macaroni

childhood

Photo by Tiare Brown

Opening our tiffin boxes to macaroni was one of the most joyful things back in our school days. Not just our friends, but friends of friends from all sections would come and ask for ‘just one bite’. Truly made us feel special, didn’t it?

5. Frooti

childhood

Photo courtesy of madinahmarket.com

Long before Katrina Kaif started dominating our TV screens, the ‘Mango Frooti, Fresh ‘n’ Juicy’ advertisement ruled our TV screens and our hearts.

This was the first drink in India to be launched in a tetra pack and carrying it in our school bags was one of the coolest things we could do.

6. Bread Pizza

childhood

Photo by Liz Tadle

Pizza was always considered the ultimate junk food, but there were times when our moms let us indulge in this goodie. Truth be told, I’ll trade my gourmet pizza for these heavenly delights any day.

7. Happy Meal

childhood

Photo courtesy of mcdonalds.com

Accept it. We couldn’t care less about the burger. All we wanted was the prized toy that came along with it, so that we could show it off to our friends.

8. Rasna

childhood

Photo courtesy of rasnainternational.com

Going to the grocer, hand in hand with your grandpa, and picking up your favorite flavour of Rasna to come back home and instantly prepare it, is a cherished memory for quite a lot of us.

It’s been years and the market today is flooded with all kinds of juices and energy drinks, but for me it’s still “I love you, Rasna”.

9. Nutties

childhood

Photo courtesy of Flickr.com

These butterscotch candied nuts were the ultimate post-dinner snacks. Nothing comes close to that mellow taste and the blend of textures even today.

10. Maggi

childhood

Photo by Tarunima

The thing about maggi is–you loved it when you were 10, you love it at 20 and you will still love it even when you’re 50. The ‘Taste Bhi, Health Bhi’ tagline appealed to us for the taste, and our mothers for the health. Voila! Hello mouth-watering sundays.

More from across Spoon: