I don’t know about you, but throughout my freshman year I became a lot smarter about my classes, my study habits, and oh yeah, food. I’m here to share some of my dining wisdom with you, so you can start your freshman year more prepared than I was. I promise, these hacks will make your dining experience THAT much better.

1. The Terrace Room accepts Caf swipes.

dining

Yes, it’s true. Bypass the lunch crowd at the Caf and enjoy a sane meal at the Terrace Room. It offers similar food to Caf, including food from the Route 15 section, but you get to serve yourself. That means no more random pieces of mystery meat. Hallelujah.

2. Download the Bucknell app to stalk the daily menus.

dining

Screenshot taken by Daniella Kotowitz

“Mashed potatoes for dinner. Yes, I can get through the day.”

3. Bucknell Dining’s web page has the ENTIRE week’s menu.

dining

It also includes the side dishes and daily specials (which the app doesn’t offer), and indicates which options are healthier so you can avoid the so-called “unavoidable” Freshman 15.

4. The Career Development Center events provide more than just career insight.

dining

Many of these events serve beautiful fresh foods from Bucknell’s Catering. It’s really a win-win: you’ll walk away with professional knowledge AND a happy stomach.

5. The hour between shuttle drop-off & pick-up is perfect for both grocery shopping at Weis & a meal at Panera.

That Panera mac & cheese…

6. The Caf’s Mongo Fresh station is more versatile than you think.

dining

Photo by Brooke Peterson

Here’s why…

7. Take-out from the Caf ends at 9:00 pm.

dining

AKA get your late-night snacks beforehand.

8. Choosing the “wrong” meal plan is not the end all be all.

dining

For a freshman, deciding between the Anytime Access Meal Plan and the Anytime Access Plus Meal Plan can be like choosing between an ice cream sundae or a pizza –it’s impossible.

However, they’re essentially the same and neither one is more economic. If you go with the smaller plan and find that your Dining Dollars are disappearing, you can always add more. If you go with the larger plan, any excess Dining Dollars will roll over to the next year.

9. Eating off campus doesn’t have to be expensive.

dining

Photo by Maeve Greeley

You’re not in NYC anymore… Enjoy fresh local eggs, toast and a coffee at Cherry Alley Café for under $6 (WOAH).

10. A tea at The Bison, library or 7th Street costs the same regardless of size.

dining

Photo by Ella Storey

Well, I’ll take a large then.

Explore other food options Bucknell has to offer.