Technically, food is just supposed to nourish our bodies, give us the energy we need to go throughout the day, but then over time, something magical happened: people began to fall in love with food (which is what brought me, and probably you, here to Spoon). Food began to do more than just keep our physical bodies alive; it began to fuel our souls.

The soul is an obscure and very personal idea, but we are all aware of its presence within us. And when you feed your soul, you know it’s been well-fed by the feeling of bliss and contentment you achieve while eating.

There are a handful of foods, that no matter what, always feed the soul well. Regardless of the diet you’re on or restrictions you have set, these foods are (in my opinion) always necessary to feed the soul and keep you happy.

1. Sunday Morning Coffee

the Soul

Photo courtesy of northendwaterfront.com

There’s nothing more cozy than being curled up in bed with your hands wrapped around a warm mug full of coffee on the global day of rest to soothe your soul.

2. BEC New York Style Bagel (Specifically) After a Big Night Out

the Soul

Photo by Devon Flinn

Nothing cures a hangover better than a good BEC bagel. Literally, nothing.

3. A Spoonful of Peanut Butter

the Soul

Photo by Maggie Gorman

You know it. I know it. Everyone takes a spoon to the peanut butter jar, and we all double dip.

4. Fresh Raspberries in the Summer

the Soul

Photo by Sarah Silbiger

Something I have learned to appreciate more since I have been in college are berries; they’re a rare treat that is definitely underrated.

5. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins in the Fall

the Soul

Photo by Ellie Sommerkamp

So this might be a me thing, but if you have ever had a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin, you know what I am talking about. And if you haven’t, go make them now.

6. Avocado Toast

the Soul

Photo by Becky Hughes

I don’t know why it’s best over winter break. Maybe it’s because green reminds us of Christmas, but put a little pepper and salt on that bad boy, and I could honestly settle with receiving that as my Christmas present.

7. Stolen Cookie Dough

the Soul

Photo by Maddy Clements

When I say “stolen,” I mean when you eat half the bowl of cookie dough because you couldn’t wait until you made the actual cookies.

8. Homestyle Mac and Cheese

the Soul

Photo by Parisa Soraya

I am not talking about Kraft or Easy Mac. This is the kind of mac and cheese that comes out of an oven pan golden and perfect.

9. A Late Night Glass of Red Wine

the Soul

Photo by Devon Carlson

Whether after a long week, long day, or long evening, sometimes you just gotta pop open a bottle for a glass to get you to tomorrow.

10. Ice Cream

the Soul

Photo by Ellie Sommerkamp

Anytime, anyplace, for any reason, you must always have ice cream because this was God’s greatest gift to us, and it’s the soul’s favorite food (and mine).