I don’t know what’s going on but people seem to think British food sucks. If you’re gonna choose something to moan about go for the weather or how expensive London is – those things I can get behind.

But food? I’m not claiming that we outrank the French or Italians in terms of culinary standards, but I think we’re doing alright and I want the chance to prove it. Here are some good ol’ British classics that I hope will prove the haters wrong.

1. Cakes and Bakes

British

Photo courtesty of @carlabannatyne on Instagram

#TeamGB firmly knows what’s up when it comes to baked goods. Home of the Victoria Sponge and Lemon Drizzle, it’s no wonder 3/5 of my housemates cried at the finale of the Great British Bake Off. Mary Berry is basically a national icon – we take cakes very seriously.

2. Sunday Roast

British

Photo courtesy of Jeremy Keith on flickr.com

This is a classic British tradition. Not only is the combination of roast meat, potatoes, roast veggies, gravy and Yorkshire puddings a match made in heaven, it’s also a super nice way to get the whole family (or friend group) around the table together once a week.

3. Marmite

British

Photo by Emily Stamp

A controversial pick, I know. You either love it or hate it and everyone is entitled to their own opinions (but if you hate it you’re wrong, sorry). There’s no better way to start the day than with a lil’ smear of Marmite on buttery toast. Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it – here are some suggestions on how to do it properly.

4. Scones

British

Photo courtesy of katedahl on flickr.com

Under the rule of Her Majesty, British people have access to any kind of scone they gaud damn please: savory cheese, raisin, blueberry – I could go on, but you get the gist. But the DADDY of all scones is plain with Cornish clotted cream and homemade jam. So creamy with a tangy sweetness, brew a cuppa and you’re set for the perfect afternoon treat.

5. Biscuits

British

Photo by Milly Onslow

Not to be confused with an American biscuit (which is basically what the British would call a scone), biscuits are done better by the Brits. Because we drink so much tea, it’s imperative that we have something delish to dip into our Earl Grey to soak up all its goodness: enter biscuits.

6. Haggis, Neeps and Tatties

British

Photo courtesy of Chris Brown on flickr.com

This is a Scottish delicacy made from meat, oats and spices, traditionally cooked in a sheep’s stomach. OK, I can ~feel~ you getting grossed out but nowadays they mostly use sausage casing instead of stomach so CALM YO SELVES. It tastes so great and you can get a veggie version too that’s just as good. It’s normally served with mashed turnips (AKA neeps) and mashed potatoes (AKA tatties), but there are other ways to enjoy it, too.

7. English/Scottish Breakfast

British

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so why not do it right: UK style. Whilst this dish may be an enemy to your cholesterol levels, it’s a friend to your taste buds. You can easily DIY and even make it Scottish by adding haggis and black pudding to the traditional ingredients.

8. Pies and Pasties

British

Photo courtesy of Ron Dollete on flickr.com

No, I don’t mean sweet pies, I mean MEAT pies. Think steak and kidney, classic chicken, steak and ale, and fish. Topped with puff pastry, these hearty British classics are so good that they’re being made and sold in by the British Pie Company in Savannah, GA. Would 9/10 recommend their Cornish pasty (only Cornish pasties made in Cornwall get the full 10, duh).

9. Fish and Seafood

British

Photo by Jonathan Chan

Idk why British fish and seafood doesn’t get more credit. Scottish salmon is some of the best in the world, as well as trout, crayfish, scallops, oyster and lobster. Of course we’re famous for our fish and chips – there’s nothing like sitting on the beach with a portion of battered haddock and chips – but we’ve got a lot more to offer.

10. Mince Pies

British

Photo courtesy of PeterAsquith on flickr.com

The ‘mincemeat’ in these little treats no longer contains actual meat, but is a concoction of dried/candied fruits and spices (such as cinnamon and nutmeg) soaked in brandy. Encased in sweet pastry, these Christmas goodies help make the festive season even more merry.

So there ya have it. I don’t want to hear any more negativity towards British food – at least not until you’ve tried everything on this list. I didn’t even get started on tea (there’s just too much to say) but God save the Queen, and God save chocolate Hob Nobs.