Around 45 years ago, Dan Evins noticed a problem. The American interstates were quickly expanding, with more and more people hitting the roads every day. But these travelers could never find a place to get a good, home-cooked meal during their trips. With this in mind, Evins opened the first Cracker Barrel. Today, there are 648 locations in 44 states.

To say Cracker Barrel is a popular place to grab food during a long car ride is an understatement. It's definitely a go-to for my family when we're traveling. With the restaurant's large menu, it can be hard to decide what to order, but I've tasted a lot of items on their menu and, I have to say, everything I've had has been fantastic. In case you can't decide what to order, here's a list of 10 of the very best Cracker Barrel menu items.

1. Macaroni n' Cheese

Hands-down, one of my favorite items on Cracker Barrel's menu is their macaroni n' cheese. It's been one of my go-to dishes since I was a kid. This isn't your boxed Kraft; it's homemade and smothered in decadent, melty cheese. Order it as a side dish, or get the entrée portion and fulfill your cheesy cravings. 

2. Chicken n' Dumplins

One of the chain's claim-to-fames, the Chicken N' Dumplins can't be beat. This ultimate comfort dish is made with juicy chicken tenderloins and served with delicious dumplings prepared every day in the Cracker Barrel kitchen. It's so good, that it's often hard to order anything else when I visit the restaurant. 

3. Double-Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake

If you're looking for a way to satisfy your sweet tooth, Cracker Barrel's double-chocolate fudge Coca-Cola cake is the way to go. Fun fact: when the restaurant's product development team was first testing this recipe, they accidentally put in double the amount of cocoa they were supposed to. But they ended up loving the messed-up recipe– in fact, it's still made today with the doubled amount of cocoa. 

4. Gravy n' Biscuits

Cracker Barrel understands you might have a craving for eggs and bacon at dinnertime, which means they serve their breakfast menu from open to close. If you're hankering for some breakfast food, their gravy n' biscuits is one of my personal favorites.

5. Maple Jam n' Bacon Burger

This restaurant isn't known for their burgers, but they should be. My personal favorite is the maple jam n' bacon burger. This cheeseburger is complete with crispy, peppered bacon and sweet maple onion jam. It's super unique but also really tasty.

6. Country Fried Shrimp

Served with hushpuppies and a side of cocktail sauce, Cracker Barrel's fried shrimp is sure to make your mouth water. As someone who is a shrimp connoisseur, I have to say Cracker Barrel has some of the best fried shrimp around. Pair it with a side of fries, and you'll be sure to satisfy your seafood craving with these crunchy bites of perfection.

7. Southern Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad

If you're ready for a good meal, but don't want to sacrifice the calories typically found in homestyle cooking, try out Cracker Barrel's southern grilled chicken Caesar salad. I often order salads when I go to restaurants and this is one of my favorites. Juicy grilled chicken served over fresh Romaine lettuce, along with ripe red tomatoes, homemade croutons, and two deviled eggs makes for a delicious (and healthy) salad. 

8. Pecan Pancakes

Cracker Barrel serves some of the fluffiest pancakes around. Although all varieties are good, the pecan pancakes are another one of my personal favorites on the chain's breakfast menu. The restaurant's signature buttermilk pancakes are filled with crunchy, tasty pecans then topped with loads of maple syrup and butter. 

9. Baked Apple Dumplin'

One of Cracker Barrel's most decadent items, the baked apple dumplin' is totally worth the calories. This sweet dessert is served warm and then topped with vanilla ice cream, pecan streusel and luscious apple topping. 

10. Chicken Fried Chicken

Although Cracker Barrel's menu contains a variety of fried chicken dishes (it is, after all, a Southern-inspired restaurant), you can't miss out on their chicken fried chicken. The dish features a deep-fried chicken breast, which is then topped with the restaurant's signature sawmill gravy.

Of course, these aren't all of the chain's delicious options. But, next time you're at Cracker Barrel, take some time away from relaxing in the rocking chairs on the front porch, playing checkers, shopping and warming up by the fireplace to try some of this delicious, homestyle food.