It’s easy to be miserable after getting your wisdom teeth out. But now you have an excuse to sit on your couch and binge watch TV for a couple days. All the TV watching and teeth healing you’re doing can really work up an appetite. Once you’ve eaten all the Phish Food and Half Baked your stomach can handle, here are some other foods to try.

Greek Yogurt

wisdom teeth

Photo by Lauren Taylor

When you find your stomach grumbling and in need of some protein, reach for that tub of greek yogurt. Buy different flavors or just drizzle some honey on top and you have yourself a solid snack for any time of day. You can even make healthy versions of your favorite desserts like cookie dough or raspberry cheesecake if you’re craving something sweet.

Cream of Wheat

wisdom teeth

Photo by Becky Hughes

This one may take a little convincing, but let me tell you now: Cream of Wheat is more than just baby food. That’s right, you heard it here first. Cream of Wheat is soft, delicious and customizable. Whether you prefer it with berry compote drizzled on top, or salted with a pat of butter, there is a combination that works for everyone.

Our recommendation is to pour a bit of almond milk on top and drizzle with maple syrup to make it taste just like pancakes, or stir in some brown sugar and chocolate chips for a wholesome treat reminiscent of cookie dough. Or, you can upgrade it with one of these flavor combinations. Cream of Wheat requires absolutely no chewing and will warm you up if your oral surgery happened to fall in the dead of winter when you came home for the holidays.

Green Smoothies

wisdom teeth

Photo by Christin Urso

During the days following your wisdom teeth extraction, you most likely are not getting your five servings a day. One way to easily sneak some vegetables into your diet is through a green smoothie. If you make them right, most of them taste pretty good. Of course, just remember not to use a straw. Try this recipe if you want something creamy and tropical, or this one if you want to test out some unusual ingredients like avocado and grapes.

Pudding

wisdom teeth

Photo by Katherine Baker

This sweet dessert comes in so many different flavors you will never get bored. Stir up a big pot of it or just buy some cups at the grocery store. If you want to add some nutrients, chop up a banana or you can try whipping up this vegan version made with tofu. Your sweet tooth will thank you.

Butternut Squash Soup

wisdom teeth

Photo by Haley Claire Martin

If you want something warm and comforting that you can curl up on the couch with, this is the soup for you. The nutty flavor of the squash complements the sweet creaminess of the soup in a way that will leave you satisfied for longer than chicken noodle (with less chewing). Classic butternut squash soup is a breeze to make, or you can spice things up with this vegan curried version.

Polenta

wisdom teeth

Photo courtesy of jovialfoods.com

Do not let Polenta’s reputation as Italian peasant food fool you. While the idea of coarsely-ground cornmeal is relatively simple, polenta can actually be packed with a complexity of flavors. Add melted butter and parmesan cheese while it is still on the stove to make a hearty meal that will soothe your teeth and stick to your ribs. Once your mouth is feeling up to a bit of movement, feel free to add a handful of cooked mushrooms or wilted spinach.

Sweet Potatoes

wisdom teeth

Photo by Lauren D’Amore

The heartiness of the sweet potatoes will fill you up while the soft, mushy inside requires minimal chewing. You can liven it up with various toppings like brown sugar, cinnamon, creamy peanut butter, or even marshmallows, or you can just mash it up and eat it plain. What’s even better is that you can microwave one in less than 10 minutes flat.