Unless you’ve been living under a rock (or simply, going to the grocery store as your only source of food), you may be aware that it has become very popular to embrace all things local. If you’re like me (and you live abroad, where everything in your tiny town comes from some large supplier somewhere else), then you’re probably late to jump on this pre-historic train of buying locally grown produce. However, since coming home to Arkansas for the summer, this train has hit me hard, as many of my friends and family actually grow things in their own backyard. But, don’t worry, there is a tricky chapter to adjusting to this lifestyle, and that is: cooking fresh eggs. They come straight from the chicken into your home, making the diet of the hen, as well as the setting that they live in, completely different. One of the major differences you’ll find upon first experiencing a fresh egg is (A), it’s yolk is fuller and brighter in color, and (B), the shell is completely different. With this difference, comes a change with the way you would usually hard or soft boil. But don’t worry, we’re here to give you the magic trick: steaming.

Steamed Eggs

• Prep Time:2 minutes
  • Cook Time:14 minutes
  • Total Time:16 minutes
  • Servings:1 - 6

• 1-6 Fresh Eggs
  • Colander
  • Tongs
  • 1 Bowl Cold Tap Water
  • Pan and Steamer
Photo courtesy of Jane Madden

1. Wash off the fresh eggs in a colander, to remove any dirt they may have.

Photo courtesy of Jane Madden

2. Fill the pan with about an inch of water, and place the steamer on top.

Photo courtesy of Jane Madden

1. Put the eggs in the steamer, and turn the heat on high. Let sit for 14 minutes.

Photo courtesy of Jane Madden

4. After your timer has gone off, remove the hot eggs from the steam and put them into a cold water bath (cold tap water is fine, but you can also add ice to make it colder). #SpoonTip: They’re hot! We recommend using tongs for this step.

Photo courtesy of Jane Madden

Let them cool, remove from the water, peel, and serve. Add whatever seasoning you prefer (but honestly, they’re delicious on their own.) #SpoonTip: Put ‘em in the fridge and save for later!

Photo courtesy of Jane Madden