Randall Dining Commons isn't exactly a 5-star restaurant. At the beginning of freshman year, we were all so enthralled by the new foods and the all-you-can-eat buffet-style (especially with the desserts). By now, however, we've all gotten used to the same old stations and meals. I came up with nine different ideas for the foods we eat every day at Chapman's cafeteria. 

1. Root Beer Float 

ale, espresso, stout, coffee, beer
Yuki Klotz-Burwell

The ice cream from our machine is pretty slushy, which is the perfect texture to add to a root beer float. Grab a cup and add some vanilla soft serve, then fill it up with root beer or any soda of your choice.

2. Avocado Toast 

sandwich, bread, avocado, toast
Yuki Klotz-Burwell

This easy (and healthy) snack has taken Instagram by storm. To make this dish at Chapman, you can ask the chefs at the sushi station if they have any leftover avocados. They'll usually give you a quarter of one, which you can cut up and spread onto whichever type of toasted bread you like. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and enjoy. 

3. In-N-Out Secret Sauce Dip

sauce
Yuki Klotz-Burwell

It's no secret that we're always craving In-N-Out's sauce. To make a caf version, go to the sandwich station and mix ketchup and mayo together. Grab some Ruffles from the bowl nearby and you're all set. 

#SpoonTip: Add the dip, melted cheese and pickles to the fries from the burger station to make your own animal fries.   

4. Nachos

chicken, curry
Yuki Klotz-Burwell

If you haven't noticed, Randall has a microwave right at the entrance by the Simply to Go station. Put some tortilla chips in a bowl, snag your choice of cheese from the sandwich line, and heat it up. 

5. Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich

peanut, ice cream, cookie, marshmallow, butter, chocolate, ice, peanut butter, sandwich, cream
Yuki Klotz-Burwell

Add some flair to your dessert by putting soft serve between two cookies. Use the sprinkles by the ice cream machine if you're looking for some extra sugar. 

6. Thai Chicken Sauce

chicken
Yuki Klotz-Burwell

If you're looking for a new condiment to eat with your cilantro lime chicken, mix together peanut butter, soy sauce and lemon or lime juice and use it as a dip.

7. Protein Lettuce Wrap

lettuce
Grace Toups

The chefs at the burger station are willing to help you customize your food, and one way you can do this is by asking for a lettuce wrap instead of the traditional hamburger bun. 

8. Breakfast Parfait

yogurt
Hannah Oh

During breakfast hours, combine yogurt, fruit and granola (available at the cereal station) into a cup or bowl to make an instant parfait. 

9. Flavored milk

smoothie, milkshake, milk
Yuki Klotz-Burwell

If the chocolate milk at the caf is running low—and it always is—bring your own syrup to add a new twist. Hershey's has some bomb strawberry syrup, which I definitely recommend adding to create some flavorful milk.

The options at the dining hall may get a bit repetitive, but there are always ways to change it up. Be creative with your meals, whether it's adding flair to your usual breakfast plate or constructing a brand new dessert. Ultimately, food should be fun. Happy eating!