The Breakfast Hall of Fame wouldn't be complete without the all-mighty Breakfast Burrito. And I'm not talking about those measly "sausage brekky wraps" from McDonalds. No, I'm talking about breakfast burritos made with love and care. 

Besides love, what makes a breakfast burrito? Tortillas, obviously. There are tons of different options out there for tortillas; my favorites include the Mission Carb Balance Wraps and Angelic Bakehouse's Sweet Beet Wraps. When I'm shopping for tortillas for my breakfast burritos, I'm looking for ones that are higher in protein and not too scary in the calorie department. Both of these brands come in at 100 cal each with 9g and 5g of protein respectively. I've found that the Mission wraps brown slightly better when I sear them afterwards (Spoon Tip: You can also use a panini press to get a nice sear on your wraps). 

Here's a list of my favorite fillings for a vegan breakfast burrito. 

Avocado

I think the better question here is, what can't you use avocado for? I love spreading some avocado mash in my breakfast burrito before I wrap it up; it adds a creamy texture to every bite! 

Black Beans

Black Beans are full of fiber, protein, and texture! I add them to my breakfast burritos to "bulk" them up without changing the flavor all too much. To prepare, I'll heat the rinsed beans in a skillet with cumin and coriander. 

JUST Egg

What makes a breakfast burrito a breakfast burrito (besides the tortilla, of course)? Eggs! Unfortunately, that's not a reality that vegans can have, nor want to have. Instead, you can add some JUST Egg scramble to your breakfast burrito. JUST is made from mung beans and has a similar texture to that of chicken eggs. It's one of my favorite additions to any breakfast burrito. If you're looking for less of a scrambled texture, you should check out their JUST Egg folded patties; you can pop them in the microwave/toaster and then right on to a bagel or breakfast sandwich. 

Fresh Spinach

For the fresh crunch, of course. 

Plant-Based Sausage

There are so many plant-based sausage options out there it might be hard to choose which one to go with! I'm a fan of The Meatless Farm's sausage patties; I heat them up in a skillet and they're ready to go in minutes! 

Salsa

Whether you make it at home or buy it from the grocery store in a jar, you can never go wrong with salsa in your breakfast burrito. 

Spoon Tip: Try to drain out as much of the water from the salsa before you scoop it on to your breakfast burrito; this will prevent your tortilla from getting sopping wet with juice and potentially tearing. 

Hot Sauce

I don't want to live in a world without hot sauce. 

Kimchi or Pickled Red Onions 

Fermented veggies will give you a little kick! I love the taste of pickled red onions in wraps especially. 

Mushrooms

Cook mushrooms in a pan with a little bit of plant-based butter spread until they release their juices. Then spoon them on to your burrito and enjoy! Mushrooms have a great umami flavor that is certain to add a new depth to your creation. 

Caramelized Onion

Caramelized onion has one of the best flavors known to man. It's rich, savory, and tastes great in a burrito! 

Hummus

More protein! Hummus pairs well with chopped fresh veggies and can add a Mediterranean-feel to your breakfast burrito. 

Roasted Red Pepper

You can make your own roasted red peppers, or cheat and buy them in a jar. If you're going with the jar option, try to drain as much of the juice out as possible to prevent your burrito from sopping up and tearing. 

Nutritional Yeast

"Nooch" adds a cheesy flavor to your breakfast burrito. I sprinkle a little on the JUST Egg scramble while its cooking, but you can also sprinkle it on before you wrap the burrito up.