Everyone loves mashed potatoes, or hopefully everyone. Unfortunately, they sometimes turn into a glob of gummy grossness you don't want to eat anymore when you reheat them. Fear not, because I've listed my tips and tricks for how to reheat mashed potatoes for keeping them as fluffy and buttery as they did when they were first made. Reheating leftover mashed potatoes is easy, whether you only have a few kitchen appliances or a fully stocked chef's kitchen.

1. Use a saucepan 

tea, espresso, coffee
Lauren Kaplan

When reheating leftover mashed potatoes, using a regular nonstick saucepan can do the job perfectly. You want to use a nonstick pan because the starchiness of the potatoes can sick to other types of pans. Cook for 8-10 minutes and stir every two minutes to ensure they cook evenly. Don't stir too harshly because that can cause the starches to break down and become a sticky blob. If you see it start to get too thick, add some milk or cream to the saucepan. 

2. Use a double boiler

A double boiler is often used when melting chocolate. You can use it for reheating those leftover mashed potatoes just the same. Fill your pot with about two cups of water and place on a medium setting until the water boils. Take a glass bowl (it should be larger than the rim of the pot) and stir those potatoes every few minutes until they reach your desired temperature. Remove the bowl, and bon appetit! 

3. Use the microwave

coffee, beer, tea, beans
Leanna Smith

While the microwave is definitely the fastest method of reheating your leftover mashed potatoes, it's not always the most thorough. Use a microwave-safe dish and put it in the microwave on high for one minute, stir the potatoes, microwave again on high for another minute, and then stir and put them back in the microwave for a final time for one minute on the high setting. This will ensure an even cooking temperature throughout your food in such a convenient way. 

4. Use the oven

dairy, butter, egg, mashed potatoes, dairy product, cream, milk
Caitlin Shoemaker

Of course, the oven is also a good method for reheating those leftover mashed potatoes. You can put them in individual servings and heat them up or use one big casserole pan. The oven can even allow for you to make a crunchy topping of cheese or other delicious toppings. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and cook for 30 minutes, or until warmed through.

No matter if you have 10 minutes or an hour, these simple and easy ways to reheat everyone's favorite side dish are sure to keep them as hot and fluffy as the day they were made. Most of these can be done with things equipped in your kitchen or dorm room and can easily be applied to other leftovers as well to keep them from getting rubbery or tasting like they've been sitting in the fridge.