I don't know about you, but I love pierogies. I mean, pasta filled with mashed potatoes? How on earth can you get better than that? Cooking pierogies has become a fairly regular routine in my young adult life.

As a kid, I remember pierogies were mostly made by boiling in my house. But there are better ways of cooking a pierogi. I have nothing against those who boiled pierogies them for me growing up, but I've found I prefer this delicious food prepared in these other ways.

Kaitlyn Mulligan

Before we begin, I think it's important to let you know that Mrs. T's Pierogies is my go-to brand. They are delicious and I refuse to go with anything else for my pierogi needs. I buy a big bag to freeze and it usually lasts me a while (great for that college student budget!). Without further adieu, here's how to make pierogies three different ways. 

1. Sautee

Kaitlyn Mulligan

This is a good option for anyone who likes softer pierogies, but doesn't want to boil them. By sautéing the pierogies in butter, you allow them to cook faster while maintaining the soft, buttery texture. To sauté pierogies, heat up a small pan, melt some butter, and cook the piergoies until they are soft and warm.

2. Bake

Kaitlyn Mulligan

I make pierogies this way the majority of the time. It is by far the easiest because you don't have to pay attention to them! The oven does all the work and they come out warm and toasty.

To make your pierogies, preheat your oven to 400ºF and drizzle some olive oil on a sheet pan. Toss the pierogies in the olive oil with some salt and pepper (and minced garlic if you're feeling it). Bake for 15-20 minutes.

3. Pan fry

Kaitlyn Mulligan

While baking is my go-to method because it's easiest, pan frying pierogies is definitely my favorite. It is similar to sautéing, but the results are a bit different. This method leads to a happy medium between the softness of sauteed and the crispness of baked.

To pan fry pierogies, heat a frying pan to medium heat with some olive oil. Once the pan is hot, place the pierogies in the oil. Fry on both sides for a couple minutes each. Season and serve!

Kaitlyn Mulligan

No matter how you like your pierogies, they are a delicious and easy-to-make food. Pierogies are perfect for college students because they make for a quick side dish to any meal. Heck, they can definitely be a meal on their own.

Boiling is definitely the traditional way of cooking pierogies, but I argue that these other methods are just as good, if not better. It's fun to play with the textures and different flavors that pierogies bring. Now that you know how to make pierogies, let your inner Polish out and enjoy this amazing food your way!

#SpoonTip: Love Polish foods? Check out this list of 21 Polish foods you need to try that aren't pierogies.