Having lived in Asia all my life until now, I have always felt a foreign distance from Mexican food. Sure, I’ve had the occasional salsa with chips, but I hadn’t tried guacamole until four weeks ago. I was initially confused by the color but after my first bite, I was in love.

Now, I go to Plex every Monday and Thursday just to get my quesadilla fix. I really wanted to try cooking Mexican food at home, especially salsa. But making salsa on your own seems like a daunting task, especially for college students.

That’s when I came across this recipe for pico de gallo online. And this “salsa fresca” doesn’t take long to make. It’s a simple mix of fresh vegetables so is healthier than other dips. The short list of ingredients also makes it very affordable. Best of all, it is foul proof.

This salsa is extremely versatile. You can eat it in a soft tortilla wrap with cheese, add it to scrambled eggs (great breakfast option), put it on grilled chicken or you can enjoy it with crispy tortilla chips.

Watch the video below to see exactly how I made pico de gallo and follow this recipe to make tater tot nachos.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes

Servings: 2-3

¼ large red onion
2 medium tomatoes
¾ jalapeño pepper
1 lime

1. Dice the red onion into small pieces
2. Core and seed the tomatoes then dice them into small pieces.
3. Core and seed the jalapeño. If you want extra spiciness, keep the seeds to add to the mix later.
4. Place all diced ingredients into a large bowl, add lime juice.
5. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
6. Add salt to taste.

A huge thanks to Andrea Kang for helping make this dish.