There is nothing like a fresh, hot cup of coffee. Period. End of story. Most of us coffee drinkers probably have a can of ground coffee we use to brew our daily cup of joe. It's simple and convenient, just a few minutes of waiting and you have a mug full of magic. But one thing I've always wanted to learn is how to grind coffee beans.

It's likely that many of you were given a bag of fancy coffee beans for Christmas (thank you, mom and dad). If you're like me, the sight of a bag of coffee beans is a little intimidating. What do you even do with them? Obviously, you're going to grind them, but how? I had to know. If you're also a coffee lover who's never tried to grind your own beans but would like to, here's how to grind coffee beans six different ways.

1. Blender

A blender can be just as effective as a grinder. Just toss the beans in and blend on a pulse or grinder setting (whatever your fastest setting is). A tablespoon of coffee beans should be enough grounds for one cup of coffee. Blend until you get the consistency you want in your grounds. A food processor can work as well if you're in a pinch.

2. Mortar & Pestle

This method is pretty old school and will take up more time. If you're unfamiliar with how a mortar and pestle works, you simply place the beans in the mortar and use the pestle to crush them. Once the beans are all crushed, use the pestle to "stir" the coffee, grinding them until the desired consistency and texture is met. I would start with just a few beans at a time until you get the hang of it. 

This method is great for a fine grind. Does it sound like a lot of work? Yes, but think of the aesthetic (not to mention that arm workout).

3. Rolling Pin

You can use rolling pins for more than just flattening dough. Place your coffee beans in a freezer bag or between two sheets of parchment paper and lay them flat on a counter or cutting board. Some people place the freezer bag between two towels.

You first use the rolling pin like a hammer to crush the beans, then roll over them until they reach your preferred consistency. You can also use a can as a substitute.

4. Hammer

It may sound odd, but crushing beans is a task of brute strength. You can use a mallet or a regular hammer. As with the rolling pin, you should place the beans in a freezer bag or between two sheets of parchment paper. After laying them flat, hammer those beans with consistent force until they're the right size. Your grounds may not be consistent in size, but you'll still be able to use them.

#SpoonTip: It's best to start in one spot and move to another to achieve a more consistent grind.

5. Knife

apple, whole apple, knife, cutting board, Fruit

This method requires more gentle precision, partially for the art of it, and partially because it can be dangerous if not done carefully. Though one would assume this method requires chopping, it does not. You place coffee beans on a cutting board and place a butcher knife flat on top of the beans. Using your palm, press down firmly on the blade to crack the beans. Continue pressing to grind and pull the blade slightly towards you to make your grind finer.

#SpoonTip: This method is meant more for people with experience (both with grinding beans and knives), so I don't recommend this for beginners.

6. Grinder

The most obvious option, a coffee grinder is ideal for anyone who's tried the other methods and is looking for a simpler alternative. Just put the beans in and they magically become ground coffee. Coffee grinders vary in price and can range from $20 to over $700! To ease your shock, larger, more expensive grinders are made more for coffee shops where they will be grinding large quantities of beans daily. If you end up preferring to grind your own beans, I recommend investing in your own grinder.

With all these different ways to grind coffee beans, there's now no excuse to not try it. There's a method for everyone, from beginners to connoisseurs. I'm excited to get my hands on a bag of beans and try them myself. Who knows? Maybe I'll buy a grinder and grind my own beans from now on. I hope you coffee aficionados learn how to grind coffee beans for yourself.