Avocado is an incredibly versatile ingredient that adds creaminess to many popular dishes like guacamole, avocado toast, and green goddess dressings. Although this fruit is insanely popular at the moment, most people only enjoy avocado raw straight out of its skin. An underrated way to enjoy avocado is to grill it, which adds a subtle smokiness and extra creaminess to any dish. Learning how to grill avocado sounds a little intimidating, but it’s actually one of the easiest ways to elevate your favorite recipes. Grilling avocados is easiest with an indoor grill pan, but a legit grill or frying pan will work just as well.

#SpoonTip: When making grilled avocados, make sure the avocado is ripe. Hard avocados don’t grill well and their flavor isn’t as creamy. 

Step 1

Kayla White

Preheat your stove to medium heat. You don't want the pan to be too hot, otherwise the avocado won't warm all the way through.

Step 2

Kayla White

Cut the avocado in half, then remove the pit. I recommend using a spoon to remove the pit to avoid cutting yourself with a sharp knife.

Step 3

Kayla White

Drizzle some lemon or lime juice over the exposed part of the avocado. This will keep the avocado from turning brown and will add some flavor. I also added paprika to mine, because even small snacks have to have big flavors. Brush a little bit of olive oil onto the avocado for some more flavor and to help create picturesque grill marks.

Step 4

Kayla White

Place the avocado cut side-down on the grill. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, you can hang out and maybe mix up a good drink or toast some bread to have with your grilled avocado.

Step 5

Kayla White

Remove the avocado from the grill, plate it nicely, and enjoy! Mine didn’t get the exact grill marks I wanted, but leave it on too long and the avocado will get too mushy. You want your grilled avocado to be firm enough so it's not goop, but slightly softer than it was before you placed it on the grill. 

Now that you know how to grill avocado, you can include it in your favorite recipes, such as these fish tacos or this creamy guac recipe. Another great perk of grilling avocados is the fact that it's a great way to use up any brown avocado halves hanging around in your fridge. However you decide to eat grilled avocado, you're guaranteed to love it. 

Grilled Guacamole