You have to admit, Nature Valley bars are a classic. They’re great when you’re late to class and on-the-go, or when you want something to hold you over. They’re simple and delicious. But have you ever caught yourself deciding not to bring one to class because you were reminded of the huuuge mess you will make (and disturb your whole lecture class) once you take a bite?

GIF courtesy of Giphy

Well, do NOT fear. Because I am willing to share with you my personal and secret hack that will make all your days a whole lot better (trust me). The best thing is it doesn’t require any equipment like microwaves or refrigerators at all. Sounds great already? Oh trust me, it is.

Let's break down the process.

Step 1: Lay out your bar and brace yourself for the change that’s about to take place.

Hannah Oh

Abraham Lincoln once said, “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” Sometimes preparation is just as important as the process.

Step 2: Crack your bars twice so that you have three ⅓ pieces.

GIF by Julia Feist on giphy.com

Think of the bar as a whole and that you’re cracking it into three even pieces.

Step 3: Open from the end with two hands (don’t tear, PLEASE) and then separate the seam that covers the whole bar.

Hannah Oh

Open like a bag of chips and separate the seams of the spine. Don’t make the mistake of tearing a small wedge from the corner because you could just create disaster for yourself.

Step 4: Voilà! There you have your six pieces in which you can eat without crumbs flying all over the classroom/bedroom/bathroom (jk) floors!

Hannah Oh

You mastered the trick. Congrats! Hopefully this granola bar hack was helpful. Don’t be afraid next time to pack that Nature Valley bar to class and do not hesitate to share the trick. Who knows, you may just happen to turn someone’s BAR-ing day upside down (sorry, not sorry).