From BLTs to breakfast sandwiches to cobb salads, there are so many reasons to be enjoying bacon. The one major con to cooking bacon is figuring out how to dispose of bacon grease without making a mess in the kitchen, the sink, or the trash. Bacon grease is smelly, slippery, and can be dangerous if not disposed of properly. You have to let it cool for a while before getting rid of it, or else you risk burning yourself.

Alison Falk

Many people think you can just pour bacon grease down the drain, but this can actually clog your pipes and lead to some serious drainage issues. Although dealing with bacon grease is tricky, I've discovered the bacon lover's dream product, and it costs a mere $1.50. Called a cooking oil hardener, this product is from Daiso, the Japanese version of the 99 cents store. Inside the box is a packet of white, panko-like flakes. After mixing the product into hot oil, it'll harden the oil, and you can easily dispose of the grease. Here's how to dispose of bacon grease easily without making a huge mess.

#SpoonTip: There are Daiso locations all over the US, but you can also purchase similar products online here and here.

Step 1

Alison Falk

Cook your bacon until crispy. Lay two sheets of paper towels on top of a plate. Place the bacon on the paper towels to soak up the grease. While the oil in the pan is still hot, pour the powder inside the packet into the pan and stir it together. 

Step 2

Alison Falk

After you've thoroughly mixed the flakes in, let the science begin. As the oil cools, it'll harden into a block. This will take about 45 minutes. Enjoy your bacon in the meantime! 

Step 3

Alison Falk

After the oil completely hardens, use a spatula to gently scrape the sides of the pan to help you remove it, and dump it in the trash. 

How Not to Dispose of Bacon Grease

Alison Falk

Do not dump it down the sink. You don't want to damage your sink and clog the pipes. Plus, you definitely do not want to deal with a plumber coming over.

Also avoid throwing it away in a plastic bag to dump into the trash. The temperature, viscosity, and potential combustibility of bacon grease can cause injuries and painful burns. Not to mention hot grease can melt plastic bags, and you'll wind up with a big mess on your floor.

#SpoonTip: If you do want to save the bacon grease for later cooking, don't leave it out at room temperature. It'll spoil, and food poisoning is never ideal. Keep it in the fridge so it doesn't go bad. I recommend using an airtight container, such as a glass mason jar with a lid.

Now that you know the best way to dispose of bacon grease, you can use this technique for any type of fried food. This tiny, magical product is a blessing from the foodie gods and can be used with any leftover cooking oil Now we can all enjoy our bacon without stressing about the cleanup.