There are few things better than biting into a bright, juicy cantaloupe on a hot summer day. Cantaloupes, like all melons, have a high water content, but they are also high in Vitamin A and C. They have a soft texture and a touch of sweetness that pairs nicely with sweet, savory, and even spicy flavors. However, cutting a cantaloupe can appear intimidating due to its thick skin, pulp, and seeds. Once you learn how to cut a cantaloupe using this simple method—which doesn't waste a single bite—you can use it to your heart's desire without any hassle.

Step 1

Jordi Almeida

Cut the cantaloupe in half length-wise.

Step 2

Jordi Almeida

Scoop out the pulp and seeds of the cantaloupe without scraping out too much of the melon.

Step 3

Jordi Almeida

Cut the cantaloupe half along the center, forming two wedges.

Step 4

Jordi Almeida

Cut each wedge in half again along the center.

Step 5

Jordi Almeida

Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the other cantaloupe half to create a total of eight wedges.

Step 6

Jordi Almeida

Make even-sized slices in each wedge, stopping just before reaching the skin.

#SpoonTip: If desired, you can make wedges to garnish your drinks by cutting all the way through the skin for every other slice.

Step 7

Jordi Almeida

Slice along the rind of the cantaloupe.

#SpoonTip: For long-term storage, place cantaloupe chunks in a plastic bag and freeze. This storage method is best for smoothies or water infusions. 

Step 8

Jordi Almeida

Enjoy!

Now that you know how to slice cantaloupe like a pro, you can find countless of unique uses for it, like a spicy melon salsa or topping it on a sweet ricotta pizza. One of my favorite ways to enjoy cantaloupe is this melon basil summer roll or this banana and cantaloupe smoothie.