More Zoodles in The Microwave Please

Zoodles, or zucchini noodles, are one of the best pasta alternatives, and they don't come with the dreaded post-pasta bloat. Zoodles are blowing up the internet and trending for those who are gluten-free or want fewer carbs.  Sauteing or boiling zoodles are the typical methods, but this can lead to overcooked zoodles when using a higher heat. Overcooked zoodles are sad and limp, and I don't think that sounds appetizing to anyone. 

If you're living that dorm life without a stove or running late to class, taking extra time for lunch is not always an option. Luckily for you, cooking zoodles in the microwave without making them mushy is easy and perfect for those days when you procrastinated watching lectures, instead spending the morning binge-watching Netflix, and now you have no time to cook. With microwaved zoodles, you have enough time to make it to class without showing up absolutely starving.

Cue the music to celebrate the fact that zoodles are delicious in the microwave as well as the other "fancier" ways of cooking it. So relax, maybe watch another episode, then get to class after a slightly rushed, nutritious lunch.

Serving Size: 1

Prep Time: < 5 min, depending on spiralizing capabilities 

Cook Time: 1.5 - 2.5 min

Total: 5 min 

All You Need

- Microwave safe bowl

Spiralizer 

- 1 zucchini

#SpoonTip: If you don't have a spiralizer, substitute a zucchini for 1 package of zoodles that can be found in most grocery stores.

- 1 tablespoon water

- Microwave

- Whatever toppings you're craving - Some of my favorite add-ins include pepper, garlic, lemon, tomatoes, fresh basil, chives, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, pesto, marinara, or Alfredo sauce. Basically, you can't go wrong with whatever topping you choose

How To Cook Zoodles in the Microwave

1. Rinse zucchini with water and cut off the ends.

Genevieve Feister

2. Spiralize the zucchini using the thick setting into a microwave-safe bowl. Since zucchini cooks so quickly, the thick setting is preferred over the thin. For denser vegetables, such as carrots, the thin setting would be better.

Genevieve Feister
Genevieve Feister

3. Usually, there is an odd-looking nub of zucchini left at the end that cannot be spiralized. If you're like me, I try to use every bit I can. College students have to save those pennies, and no one likes a waster. To reduce food waste, I finely chop the remaining zucchini. It cooks and tastes the same!

Genevieve Feister
Genevieve Feister

4. Combine finely chopped leftovers to the zoodles and stir in 1 tablespoon of water. Adding more water than this would leave the zoodles at the bottom soggy and gross. Since zucchinis are more than 95 % water, they cook easily without a lot of added liquid. 

Genevieve Feister

5. Cover with a lid or damp paper towel. The top allows for the steam that's created to work its magic to make some quick, tasty zoodles. 

Genevieve Feister

6. Microwave covered zoodles for 1.5 - 2.5 minutes. Don't be afraid to taste them after 1 minute or so to check the texture. The longer they are cooked, the more tender they become. I like my zoodles with a slight crunch, so I cook them for 1.5 minutes. 

7. Remove the zoodles from microwave, and be amazed at zoodles cooked in the microwave, without being a mushy, sloppy, tasteless dish. Now this is the time to spice it up, literally.  I finish my zoodles off with lemon juice, pepper, garlic, cayenne pepper, and sesame seeds. 

Genevieve Feister

Zoodle combinations are seriously endless. Try these microwave zoodles in some delicious recipes like 5- Cheese Pesto ZoodlesAsian Zoodles, and Lemony Zoodles with Veggies, and don't be surprised when you don't go back to eating just normal pasta.