Puppies are the most adorable creatures on Earth (obviously). You want to feed them the best, but how do you know what that is?

While purchasing all of the necessities before picking up my puppy a few months ago, I browsed the dog treat selection at Petco for twenty minutes and still did not know what to buy.

There are so many brands, flavors and types of treats—it can be overwhelming. This guide will make your next experience in the treat aisle a little easier. 

Store-Bought or Homemade?

Kayla Cain

There are some store-bought treats that you should definitely avoid, but there are also great brands that are natural and healthy for your pup. It is important to check out the ingredients list—if there is a list of 30+ ingredients that you can't pronounce, you should probably skip that brand.

You should also make sure that the treats are made in the USA (many overseas brands have been found to be dangerous for your furry friend). If the treats pass these two tests, you're good.

Even though some store-bought treats are perfectly healthy, making your dog homemade snacks is preferable. You can choose every ingredient going into the treats and feel confident that they are healthy.

Making dog treats at home is also a great way to save some cash. If you don't have time to bake, here is a list of some dog-friendly human foods that require little to no preparation. 

#SpoonTip: Try this homemade treat recipeyour dog will thank you later.

Bones, Biscuits or Soft Treats?

sweet, milk, chocolate, cereal
Kayla Cain

There are many different flavors and types of treats out there. Every dog has its own preferences. For example, my dog loves anything peanut butter (he got it from me). You will have to go through some trial and error to figure out what your dog likes best. As long as the treats are natural and healthy, one type of treat isn't necessarily better than the rest.

However, different situations call for different treats, so it is a good idea to have several kinds on hand at all times. Small, bite-sized treats are the best for training, while large treats and toys made for filling with peanut butter are great for keeping your dog occupied when you leave the house. I also like to keep some fancy treats on hand to spoil my dog every once in a while.

Kayla Cain

When you first get your dog, experiment with different brands, recipes, etc. to figure out what works best for you, your dog and your budget. It took me a while to figure out what my pup liked (and digested well), so don't worry if it takes some time. Once you find some healthy treats that your dog drools over, you (and your dog) are winning.