This year’s Chinese New Year falls on February 8th, 2016, celebrating the year of the monkey. Never celebrated before? No problem! Traditions usually include New Year’s Eve Dinner, a parade, and fireworks. Celebrations can typically last up to fifteen days. Wanna know how you can get in on the fun? Here are some places and restaurants to get you in the spirit. Be sure to wear red, to help ward off evil spirits in the new year.

Wanna know how you can get in on the fun? Here are some places and restaurants to get you in the spirit. Be sure to wear red, to help ward off evil spirits in the new year.

The Chinese New Year Parade

Chinese New Year

Photo courtesy of nbcwashington,com

The Chinese New Year Parade will take place on February 14th, 2016 in Chinatown. What better way to spend your Valentine’s Day than learning about a new culture with someone special? The festival begins on H Street between 6th and 7th streets. There will be dancing, kung fu demonstrations, and the ceremonial lighting of the firecracker. You definitely won’t wanna miss it.

Ping Pong Dim Sum

Chinese New Year

Photo courtesy of Ping Pong Dim Sum

Ping Pong is a dim sum restaurant that offers traditional Chinese tea house fare as well as cocktails. They’ve created a special Chinese New Year menu offered from February 7th to February 13th, and each dish is said to guarantee you different things for the New Year. For example, the Crisp Lotus Flower Dessert will bring you good luck. Be sure to try the Lychee Rose Martinis, they’re delicious and look classy AF. 

Chinatown Express

Chinese New Year

Photo courtesy of dc_dining on Instagram

Chinatown Express is heralded as one of the most authentic Chinese restaurants in DC, and for good reason. You can watch the chef hand-pull noodles in the front window, and the specials are scribbled on a board daily. The house-made fresh noodles in the roast pork and roast duck soups are a huge favorite – and at under 10 bucks, one of DC’s best cheap eats.

Chinatown Community Cultural Center

Chinese New Year

Photo courtesy of ccccdc.org

The Chinatown Community Cultural Center will also be hosting activities on February 14th from 12:30-4:30 pm. There will be music performances, face painting, kung fu and tai chi demonstrations, photo and art exhibits, and New Year’s souvenirs. The whole community is encouraged to come out and take part in these cultural demonstrations.

Zengo

Chinese New Year

Photo courtesy of richardsandoval.com

Zengo is a Latin-Asian small plates restaurant located in the heart of Chinatown that will be debuting three dinner specials which represent longevity, happiness, wealth, and luck for the New Year from Feb. 5-13.

The Peking Duck steamed buns come topped with Hoisin leeks and an orange glaze, representing luck. Try the longevity and happiness Shrimp Lo Mein noodles with mushrooms, scallions, roasted red peppers and cilantro. It’s a great place to celebrate with your friends, because everything is shareable.