Hard-boiling eggs is one of those culinary skills that takes minimal effort to acquire and reaps endless rewards. Eat one by itself, slice some up and add to a salad, chop them and mix with mayonnaise for egg salad  – hard-boiled eggs are versatile and have so much potential. Every college student should know how to prepare the perfect boiled egg.

Hard-Boiled Eggs

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients: Raw egg(s)

Photo by Justin Shannin

Directions:
1. Fill a saucepan with enough water to later completely submerge your eggs, and put it on the stove.
2. Turn the burner on to medium-high heat and wait until the water is boiling (not just simmering, you want a vigorous boil).
3. Carefully slide your egg(s) into the boiling water using a spoon.
4. Leave the eggs in the boiling water for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
5. Pour out the hot water into the sink, and refill the saucepan with cold water to cool the eggs.
6. Peel off the shell and slice or chop to enjoy. Or, if you’re saving them for later, leave the eggs in the shells and refrigerate.

Photo by Justin Shannin

Photo by Justin Shannin

Soft-Boiled Egg

As long as you’re working on your egg preparation skills, try out a soft-boiled egg, the hard-boiled egg’s equally simple and often underappreciated cousin. You get the same warm runny yoke of a fried over-easy egg without having to worry about breaking the yoke in the pan. Paired with a slice of buttered toast, the soft-boiled egg makes for an easy breakfast with minimal prep-work and dish-washing.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients: Raw egg(s)

Directions:
1. Fill a saucepan with enough water to later completely submerge your eggs and put it on the stove.
4. Leave the eggs in the boiling water for 5 minutes, then remove the saucepan from the heat.
6. Hold the egg narrow end up and gently tap near the top of the shell with a knife.

Photo by Justin Shannin

7. Carefully cut off the rest of the top of the egg. Enjoy your soft-boiled egg straight out of the shell with a small spoon.

Photo by Justin Shannin

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it? 

hard soft boiled eggs