It’s time to add some spice to your cooking routine. Literally. Instead of looking in your pantry at the endless bottles and pretending you know what to do with them, read this guide and get spice educated.

Rosemary:

Photo by Rachael Ferreira

A personal favorite, I tend to add rosemary to just about anything. This needle-shaped herb, native to the Mediterranean, is much more delicious than it looks. Rosemary is fantastic with potatoes, infused into oil and of course, on top of your chicken.

Garlic Powder:

Photo by Rachael Ferreira

An essential ingredient for those lazy “chefs,” garlic powder is made from dehydrated garlic cloves that are then grounded. You’ll find this spice from central Asia used in everything from your grandma’s homemade meatloaf to your dad’s famous hamburgers. Sprinkle this spice over your popcorn or inside your omelet to add some tanginess.

Basil:

Photo by Rachael Ferreira

Since basil is most prominent in Italian dishes (and everyone loves Italian food), basil must be the best spice, right? Is that how the cumulative property works? Anyways, try it on top of your pizza, in salad dressings and sauces and of course, as the key ingredient in a super-simple Insalata Caprese (aka slices of tomato and fresh mozzarella cheese…mmm).

Cinnamon:

Photo by Rachael Ferreira

Cinnamon can be used on more than baked apples and other fall dishes. Originally from Sri Lanka, cinnamon can be found in a surprising amount of cuisines (it’s that good). Sprinkle it over your morning pancakes or oatmeal, and your breakfast will never be the same.

Take these spices and do what you will with them, and look here for more spicey updates. I’m on a mission to civilize, and by that I mean a mission to spice up your life.