The Inspiration

Over the past few years, gourmet milkshakes have been taking the country by a storm. After having my Instagram explore page bombarded with photos of over-the-top creations from Black Tap in New York City (as well as a few other spots) and discovering that these treats cost anywhere from 10 to 15 dollars, I decided it was time to take milkshake-related matters into my own hands.

I am a college student confined to balling on a (relatively tight) budget as well as a dining hall hack aficionado, so making my gourmet milkshake creation at the expense of a single meal swipe seemed most logical. For visually pleasing purposes, I brought my own clear glass cups with me (my dining hall's cups are blue), but all other ingredients and resources were found in the dining hall. 

The Basics

Emily Nestel

The Actual Milkshake Part: Since I had no access to a blender, I used a spoon to stir together ice cream with milk (the amount of milk added depends on how thick you like your shakes). Feel free to add extra flavor and texture with mix-ins–such as Oreo bits.

Emily Nestel

The Outer Layer: To add another dimension to the shake, spread peanut butter (shake places normally use icing) around the outer rim of the glass and then roll it in cereal pieces, chocolate chips, or sprinkles.

Emily Nestel

The Inner Lining: My dining hall just so happens to have a bottle of chocolate syrup next to the ice cream. Carefully squirt lines of syrup along the inner wall of the glass and it will drip down in a visually pleasing manner.

Emily Nestel

The Toppings: This is your time to go crazy. You can put literally anything on top of your shake – cookies, marshmallows, fruit, or even an entire slice of cake. The sky is the limit. I stuck certain ingredients through straws in order to keep them upright and afloat. In my dining hall, I utilized the ice cream bar toppings, the dessert section, the waffle iron, and the fruit.

The Results

I came up with these fun combinations based on what I found in my own dining hall. Use them as an inspiration for your gourmet milkshake endeavors. 

1. The Choco-Cookie Shake

Emily Nestel

Step 1: Spread peanut butter on the outside of the glass, and roll it around on a plate of chocolate chips.

Step 2: Drizzle lines of chocolate syrup onto the inner lining of the glass.

Step 3: In a separate cup, use a spoon to mix together vanilla ice cream (or a flavor of your choice), milk, and pieces of Oreos. Pour the shake into your decorated glass.

Step 4: Make a small incision into a cookie and stick it into the rim of the cup.

Step 5: Stick a straw through an ice cream cone, fill the cone with marshmallows and a cherry on top and then stick into the shake.

Step 6: Add a finishing drizzle of chocolate syrup on top and enjoy!

2. The Breakfast for Dessert Shake

Emily Nestel

Step 1: Spread peanut butter on the outside of the glass and roll it around in a plate of frosted flakes (or other cereal of choices).

Step 2: In a separate cup, use a spoon to mix together vanilla ice cream, milk, and maple syrup. Pour the shake into the decorated glass.

Step 3: Use a waffle iron to make a waffle. Cut the waffle into strips, stick a straw through a strip, and position into your glass.

Step 4: Cut up a banana and some strawberries, and make a kebab using a straw. Position in the glass. If your dining hall has any other fruits make kebabs using them as well (I was lucky enough to snag some blackberries).

Step 5: Finish with a drizzle of honey and enjoy!

If your dining hall has the necessary supplies then also feel free to try out:

The Banana Split Shake:

Step 1: Spread peanut butter on the outside of the glass, and roll it around on a plate of sprinkles.

Step 3: Layer strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate milkshake.

Step 4: Top with whipped cream, banana slices, more chocolate syrup, and a cherry on top.

The Birthday Cake Shake:

Step 1: Spread frosting on the outside of the glass, and roll it around on a plate of sprinkles.

Step 2: In a separate cup, use a spoon to mix together birthday cake or cake batter ice cream, milk, and sprinkles. Pour the shake into your decorated glass.

Step 3: Top with a slice of cake, whipped cream, and even more sprinkles.

The Elvis Shake

Step 1: Spread peanut butter on the outside of the glass, and place sliced bananas around the rim.

Step 2: In a separate cup, use a spoon to mix together vanilla ice cream, milk, and peanut butter. Pour the shake into your decorated glass.

Step 3: Top with whipped cream, banana, a strip of bacon, and drizzled honey.

Now its your turn! Get creative! Never pay for an overpriced milkshake again!